-I Choose to Live-

Packing is never easy, but when reapers are on your heels you don’t have much of a choice.  Running is all you can do.  In my bedroom are the three most important people in my life.  Kyle, who was awe struck at the wing like quality of Andelus’ hair, Tierra who had a million and one questions, and Andelus.  Since Shane's attack, he has now decided to never take his eyes off me-protected.  The key he gave me only works if I remain hidden.  So, if I stay home or remain surrounded by four walls it can hide me but Shane managed to come within inches.  He found me.  Shane’s new dark nature was far more menacing than I had given him credit for and that’s why I needed to run.

            “Where the hell are you going?  You can just pack up and run off?” Tierra shouted.

            Kyle hovered around Andelus as the two initiated a staring match.

            I paced back and forth from my closet stuffing shirts and jeans into a sport bag, “I’m not staying here till this thing kills me Tierra.  I have a better chance if I hide out somewhere else.”

            Tierra, with tears filling her eyes, grabbed my biceps and stepped into my path, “Just tell me that wasn’t you in that bathroom?  …suicide?” 

            The cracking in her voice brought back foggy memories.  Images I couldn’t quite make out.  I glanced upward into her eyes, her being three inches taller than myself.  She was bravely fighting back her tears as all eyes fell on us.

            I held her as her tears melted into my neck, “I choose to live.” 

            Andelus brushed past Kyle as we parted from our hug, “She’s being chased by a Reaper, well to be accurate over 300 or so Reapers.  You all should have died the night of the crash.  Since then Reapers have been stalking her using Shane’s body.”

            Tierra abruptly turned to Andelus, “This is the guy from the park?”

            “Yes.  His name is Andelus.  He’s the one who saved us from the crash.”

            Wiping her tears Tierra turned back to Hayden, “No.  None of this makes any sense.  Shane’s not trying to kill you.  He wouldn’t.  We’ve known him for years.”

            Andelus scoffed, “So, you’d believe Hayden tried to slit her own wrists with what, her thumbnails?  There was nothing in that bathroom besides the mirrors that could have done that kind of cutting.  The mirrors were intact.  Her fingernails were clean.  The bathroom door was locked.”

            Tierra, slipping into shock, continued to deny his explanation as Kyle interjected.

“It’s him.  The guy I saw.  He dragged me from the crash.  It’s the only thing that makes sense Tierra.  This is him.  After the crash I woke up at home.  Like nothing happened.  We died.  So if she says this is our reality then it’s gotta be it.  Nothing else makes sense.”

            “Tierra, all feelings aside, it is Shane out there.  Look I know that it tough to explain, but once we get to the cabin we can lay all the cards on the table.  Right Andelus?”

            Andelus scoffed.          

            Tears broke from Tierra’s lashes as she walked from the room.  It was hitting her harder than anyone.  She’s still carrying feelings for Shane I take it.  Whatever it was she would need more time to come around.  I continued packing.  Shirts.  Boots.  Bug repellant.  Andelus watched over Tierra as Kyle walked her home to pack.  It was up to Kyle to drive since I was still struggling to climb back behind the wheel.  Before long they had returned.  Everyone was packed and ready.  A few hours passed as I checked and rechecked my gear.  Andelus insured us that the only time to go would be just before dusk.  At the end of the day the Reapers are still out dragging souls away.  For reasons unknown, at dusk however, they gather in the sky.  So we’d only have the moment before dust to reach the cabin in peace.  He failed to mention why.