-Forgotten Faces-

[Tierra]

“W-What just happened?” She questioned.

“Hayden, we don’t have time we gotta get in doors-c’mon girl!”  I rushed her without an answer.  

  We finally managed to reach the house just across the way which, like the other two story home, seemed to be abandoned.  Knowing what I knew it was no longer strange to me that all the people in town had suddenly disappeared.  But it wasn’t my place to tell her, I’d let Andelus have that honor.  Besides, I had enough on my plate at the moment.  My form was cracking. From me literally touching the water, I was starting to disappear.  It was something Andelus had warned me about just after Kyle had been possessed.  Now that it had started, there was no way to stop it.  I was going to disappear. 

“Think you know your friends?  Girl, you’re full of surprises…”  She walked in after me and slammed the door behind her, “…gotta make sure we’re locked in right!  At least we’d have a place to crash till Andelus catches up.  Man, do I have a bone to pick with him when I see him.  I was almost killed twice in one day…”  She paused as she noticed me sitting at the island countertop in silence.  I struggled to avoid eye contact. 

My hand was wrapped in a towel to hide the cracks in my skin.  As she walked over I could hear the concern in her voice.  Before she could badger me I quickly shut it down.

“You need to take a seat.  I’m going to search the house anything usefully.”

She frowned softly, “Tierra…”

“…look.  For a while there you were MIA.  After seeing Kyle, well…there’s a lot going on right now.  I need you to take all this in and get your game face on.  I can’t do this without you and I need your help.”

As I proceeded toward the staircase she stuttered oddly.

“T-Tierra, are you alright?  Andelus is my guardian angel, so putting him in this situation is typical but…Kyle’s gone.  Shane is chasing us.  I mean, I don’t want you in this.  Andelus told me that I’m the target so if you leave I’m sure they won’t come for you.  I could lead them away.”

I peered down at my scuffed boat shoes.  I wanted nothing more than to say, no, it’s okay.  Thing is…I knew better.  This…this is the Hayden I remember.  Even in her times of selflessness I felt inferior.  I wanted nothing more than to shut her down.  I’ve finally grown tired of the world revolving around the ‘prefect Hayden Brooke.’  She’s always been this way.  Even when she was being nice there was always a hint of condescendence.  

“You don’t get to pity me.  You don’t get to fear for me.  Shane’s lost his mind.  Kyle was literally torn apart…and me?  I-this is the first time you’ve thought of me…like really remembered me in years.  So don’t pity me.  You’d be wasting your time.  The only thing that matters is saving you from them.  Honestly that’s all that matters.  So let’s just stick to the script.”

I continued around the corner with no concern for a response.  Trying desperately to muster up the courage to do what Andelus asked of me.  Even though I realized that with a single sentence I could cause just as much damage to her world as the Reapers.  As I made my way up the stairs the setting of this particular place began to seem increasingly familiar to me.  Midway through the staircase I froze as the realization of where I was became abundantly clear.  I abruptly turn and panicked as I jetted down the steps and back into the kitchen.  Hayden’s face seems to sour in my presence but there wasn’t time for coddling.  I scooped up her hand and raced towards the front door.  As I opened the door I spotted a set of golf clubs in the adjacent corner.