Chapter 4: The Eventful Day

Just as she thought, it was a busy weekend/Saturday for her. However, what she thought of a “regular” and “usual” day at work was far from what she has expected. The day turned out to be the most chaotic and unexpected day of her life at work.

First, the delivery of their supplies was late due to heavy traffic in the Metro. Second, they had difficult customers that she has to personally deal with – customers who have nothing to do but complain without any basis. Third, one of her reliable chefs is out sick for the day. So she has to divide her time from entertaining customers, manning the cashier and looking after the kitchen.

She saw Emily rushing towards her.

“Sarah, your brother is on the phone. It seems like an emergency.” ­Emily was even panting a bit when she reached her.

She immediately rushed to the phone and picked it up. “Hello Edward? What is it? We have a very busy day here in the restaurant so make it quick...”

“Ate, I’m here in the hospital… I mean, we’re here in the St. Claire Hospital…” Then he whimpered and cried on the line.

She felt panic and fear slowly rising to her chest. “What? Why are you in the hospital?”

“Ate Bella… She… We rushed her to the hospital. Kuya Aiden accompanied us…”

“What happened?! Don’t go anywhere ok? I’ll be there as soon as I can.” As the call ended, she didn’t realize that her hands are shaking. She is worried sick about her sister.

“Emily, I know we’re really busy today but I need to excuse myself for the meantime. We had an emergency and my sister was rushed to the hospital.”

Emily, hearing the urgency in voice, simply nodded and said, “Go, I’ll take care of everything here. I’ll tell our Lady Boss.”

*****

She immediately rushed to the nurses’ station upon reaching the hospital to ask for her sister’s room. After getting the information, she went straight to the room, almost running.

When she entered the room, she saw her sister on the bed fast asleep and her brother beside her. Upon seeing her, her brother rushed to her and hugged her tightly.

“Sssshhh... Am here. Now, tell me. What happened?”

“Well, when I got home earlier, I found her on sitting in one corner, crying. She was bleeding so I didn’t know what to do. I ran to Kuya Aiden and told him about it and we brought her here.”

Before she could ask for the reason and condition of her sister, the door opened and the doctor (with his nurse) came in.

“Are you the guardian of the patient?”

“Yes. I am her sister.”

“I need to talk to you, in private please.”

*****

I don’t know how I managed to come to this darker area of the city. I was just walking endlessly and was letting my feet take me wherever. I feel so numb.

Flashback:

“Doc, what’s the condition of my sister? What happened to her?” She worriedly asked the doctor. She was worried that her sister might have acquired a deadly disease or something.

“I’m sorry to say but she had a miscarriage. She lost her baby.”

“Huh? Miscarriage? Baby? What do you mean?” She could not process what the doctor was telling her.