Premonition

~Echo’s POV~

Buildings were leveled all around me. A massive patch of land devoid of any vegetation or structure lay before me where a town once stood. Two men stood where the buildings were leveled locked in a heated battle. The first was around my age, he was tall and handsome with dark raven hair and a spattering of boyish freckles across his cheeks. He was lean and muscular wearing only a pair of black cargo shorts with an orange belt, his chest was bare and he had a tattoo of Whitebeard’s jolly roger on his back. The second man had darker skin and tangled greasy black hair. He was tall and overweight. His eyes were like black coals and I instantly got a bad feeling about him.

I watched in horror as the frightening man hurled the young man into a nearby pile of rubble. Blood bubbled from the boy’s lips and I ran toward him. I wasn’t sure why I wanted to help the boy so much, I didn’t even know him. The evil man stepped forward as I reached the wounded boy.

“NO! Stop!” I cried though I knew it was pointless. I knew I was dreaming and I knew this wasn’t really happening at this point in time, but it would happen, soon.

I stood protectively in front of the wounded boy though I knew it was useless, they couldn’t see me and I was nothing more than a specter in this vision. The boy stepped past me and for a moment I thought I saw his eyes flit in my direction.

I woke with a start and found myself alone in Shanks’ room. Hurriedly I threw back the covers that had been folded around me and sprinted for the door. I had to find Shanks and tell him about what I had seen. He’d know what to do.

“Echo-chan!” Some of the crew called out to me as I made my way to the main deck. “What’s wrong?” They called as I ignored them and pressed onward.

The cabin door flew open just as I was about to reach it and I crashed, painfully, into whoever had opened it and we went tumbling to deck. We landed in a heap on the floor with whoever I had crashed into pressing their elbow into my spine.

“What the hell, brat?” Yassop groaned as he picked himself up off the deck and turned to help me up.

“Where’s Shanks?” I asked hurriedly as I ignored the hand he offered me and jumped to my feet.

The sniper looked at me for a moment, “What’s wrong?” He asked earnestly.

“I have to talk to Shanks.” I quickly scanned the deck looking for a splash of crimson.

Yassop pointed behind me and upward toward the top deck. “He’s at the helm.” He chuckled.

I darted for the stairs almost taking out Travis in the process and took the steps three at a time. He stood at the helm conversing with Benn in low tones. He smiled as he spotted me but once his dark gaze met mine his smile fell.

“What’s wrong, Echo?” He asked worried.

“I think I saw the future.” I said softly as I remembered the premonition from my dream.

“What did you see?”

I explained everything to the best of my ability. It was still vividly etched into my mind, every last detail. Shanks listened without interruption. He looked a little unsettled by the news and when I finished he looked a little worried.

“You know who they were?” I asked quietly.

“The one you wanted to protect is Ace; he’s the second division commander of the Whitebeard pirates. The other one is Marshall D. Teach, also known as Blackbeard.” He looked thoughtful for a moment. “I need to get a hold of the Old Man.”

“Shall I redirect our course? We’ll be at Funesto in a few days.” Benn noted.

Funesto? We were almost there. Our agreement was just for them to take me there, was it possible that I could stay with the crew permanently? It was selfish to ask, but I felt like I belonged here with Shanks and the crew.

Shanks shook his head, “I’ll send a message.” He offered me a smile, “Thank you, Echo.”

“Captain?” My voice shook unsteadily at the thought of him rejecting my request.

Shanks looked to me curiously, “What is it, Echo?”

“Can I stay…” My voice faded out, “After Funesto, can I still…” Why was this so hard to get out?

Shanks placed a strong gentle hand on my shoulder, “I didn’t think you planned on leaving us.” He smiled, “Of course you can stay, Echo; you’re part of the crew.”