Marineford Pt 2

~Echo's POV~

It took a moment for me to get my bearings and roll back onto my feet. I'd lost precious time, Luffy was almost to the plaza. Everyone was still fighting around me, but I was having a hard time hearing anything.

Breathing was becoming more and more difficult as all my wounds from the torturers of Impel Down began to throb. The pain was almost unbearable, but I had to keep going, I had to ignore it. Shakily I left Linda's side and made my way toward the plaza at a much slower pace. Every move took more strength than I had to give.

A brief glimpse of Luffy getting cut down by Mihawk flashed through my mind and I ran as fast as my legs could carry me as I spotted the warlord in Luffy's path. He unsheathed his great black sword and prepared to swing.

"Don't you dare touch him, pervert!" I shrieked as my body moved on sheer willpower alone and I launched myself at the pair of them.

Mihawk's cheeks reddened as he spotted me, "What are you doing here, young woman?"

"Keeping perverts like you, in check." I snapped.

"That was a misunderstanding, I assure you." Mihawk said through gritted teeth.

"Luffy, keep going, I'll handle him." I panted as I struggled to regulate my breathing.

Luffy looked a little reluctant to go, but gave me a nod of thanks before taking off.

"You don't look too good, young woman." Mihawk noted as he sheathed his sword and began scanning the mess of marines and pirates for Luffy.

"Don't take pity on me now." I huffed, "I'm your opponent."

His hawk like gaze locked on me, "I didn't sign up to bully Red-Haired's woman. I will not fight you."

"Well that's too damn bad!" I snapped as I saw him reach for his sword once he spotted Luffy and launched myself at him.

He deflected me as easily as a cat with a mouse and sent me sprawling to the ice with a gentle push. Shakily I swayed to my feet and ran at him once more as he prepared to swing his black sword at Luffy.

He pushed me aside with yet another gentle touch and I tumbled to the ice once more as my body was overcome with pain. "You're injured and have no strength left. Why do you risk your life?" His piercing eyes bore into me.

"Shanks believes in him." I nodded in Luffy's direction.

Mihawk sighed as I struggled to get back onto my feet, "You shouldn't be moving."

"Shut up!" I hissed and lunged at him.

He effortlessly caught me by the back of the neck and lifted me off my feet. I kicked and struggled uselessly in his grip.

"Let go of me!"

He swung the great sword with one arm and sent Luffy sprawling.

"Put me down, pervert!" I snarled as I loosed my wires and caught hold of the black sword.

"Could you please refrain from addressing me as a pervert." Mihawk asked coolly as his face reddened once more.

"I'll think about it, if you put me down."

He loosened his grip on me and I tugged on my wires as I hit the ground just as he was about to take another swing at Luffy, pulling the sword from his grasp. His glare was menacing and I couldn't help but yelp and scurry away with his sword still entangled in my wires behind me.