Heaven Eyes

~Echo's POV~

One of the seven warlords joined Ace in his cell. Jinbe was a giant of a fishman with pale blue skin and black hair tied into a traditional topknot. His face was forever contorted in a way that made him look like traditional demons one would see in works of art. He was a menacing looking man, but from what I'd deduced from my visions and the brief amount of time he spent with Ace in his cell, I knew he was a good person.

I'd just been returned to my cell after another bout of torture and endless questions. Crocodile hadn't been too far off the mark when he asked if they wanted me to cultivate devil fruit for the world government. That was part of it, however there must have been whispers of my visions because lately that's what my interrogations were about. They wanted me to use my premonitions to help them get the upper hand in what they were calling the war.

Crocodile shuffled toward me as I lay flat on my back on the floor of our cell without so much as a fragment of energy or motivation to so much as blink my eyes. My body was numb from the pain. He leaned into my line of view and grimaced.

"You're a mess."

"Just...what... a.. girl... likes....to.... hear." I managed through gasping breaths.

Crocodile sighed, "I can't believe your captain would stand by and do nothing knowing you're in a place such as this."

I could hear Ace shift at this as the massive chains keeping him subdued clinked slightly. He was listening in and had been wondering the same thing.

"That's what he's.... supposed to be doing..... This was my plan... after all." I sputtered before grimacing at the sudden metallic taste of blood in my mouth. Perhaps Shanks had been right about my plan, perhaps this was a bad idea. What would happen to him if I died in here?

I had hope that he'd be rational and just move on, but there was a lingering doubt in my mind. He would give the world hell. A single tear escaped me as I thought of my usually level headed captain. In the time I'd been sailing with him and his crew, I'd grown to love him more than anything else in this world. And somehow miraculously I felt he shared my feelings. How was it possible for someone to care so deeply for me? Why would anyone ever think I was worth such feelings?

"Echo?" Crocodile sounded concerned, "You're crying."

"I am not." I shot in a huff and nearly choked on the blood in my mouth.

"Why would you volunteer to do this?" Crocodile pondered as he sat beside me and scowled at Ace, "You sure it's worth it?"

"It's not like I asked her to." Ace barked and I heard the clanking of his chains as he thrashed about futilely.

"Of course it's worth it." I smiled softly. "So many people love you so much that I felt so moved and compelled to do something. Even though my plan failed, I am so glad there is another set in motion as we speak, and it's going to be a success." Every fiber in my being shrieked as I turned my head to look at Ace, "Don't worry, Ace. Everyone is going to save you."

There were tears welling in his eyes. Tears he refused to let fall. "You're such an idiot." He hung his head in defeat. "Look at what they've done to you. If they don't kill me," the chains clinked as he motioned around him, "then Red Hair definitely will."

I couldn't help but laugh.

"What's wrong with you?!" Ace snapped, "How can you laugh at such a hopeless situation?"