Kenbunshoku Haki pt 2

~Echo’s POV~

                I woke with a start only to find I didn’t recognize my surroundings. The gentle rock of the ocean waves made me aware that I was on a ship somewhere. Warm soft blankets were wrapped around me almost like a cocoon and I was lying in a comfortable bed. There was a desk a few paces from the bed with various things lying across it, wanted posters, correspondence and trinkets. Tucked away neatly in the corner was an ornate wooden bookshelf littered with various volumes. Along the wall were a slew of maps with various pins and markings on them and even a few photographs. What startled me most about the strange room was the person sound asleep in the chair next to the bed. He’d slumped into the chair from exhaustion and worry. His unruly crimson hair spilled into his face. Was this Shanks’ room? My body was overcome with chills as I attempted to sit up and I fell back to the bed with a groan, startling the sleeping captain from his slumber.

                “Echo?!” His dark piercing eyes were filled with relief. “How do you feel?” He asked quietly as he pressed a gentle hand to my forehead.

                “Cold.” I shivered before leaning into his warm touch.

                He smiled faintly, “I’m sorry, it’s a side effect. It’ll wear off shortly.”

                “What did you do to me?” I asked curiously.

                He hesitated, “Echo, what do you remember?”

                Remember? What was he talking about? Did something happen? I racked my brain trying desperately to think back on what could have happened. We’d separated ourselves from the crew so he could teach me how to swim. Haunting memories of being dragged under the water had me terrified and I’d slipped and hurt my hands. What happened after that?

                “Echo?” Shanks placed a gentle hand on my shoulder.

                I remembered watching my blood fall to the white sandy beach and could hear the cries of my dying kin. Blood, there’d been so much blood. My head began to throb and I winced from the effort and quickly reached up to rub my temples.

                “Don’t try so hard.” Shanks gave my shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

                “What’s happening to me?” I gasped as it suddenly felt like my head were being split in two.

                “Do you know what Haki is, Echo?” Shanks asked softly.

                The pain in my head began to subside and I was able to give it a quick shake in response.

                “It’s something that lies dormant in every living creature; most people go their whole lives without ever accessing it. However people who go through great trauma or spend their lives training and fighting can access it and even learn to harness it and use it to their advantage.” He explained.

                “Why now?” I asked curiously, “Why wouldn’t it have  happened after…” I couldn’t finish the sentence… after the slaughter.

                Shanks smiled down at me sadly, “I think perhaps your mind knew you couldn’t handle it at the time and held off a little while longer.”

                “So what do I do?”

                “Learn to harness it through training.”

                I bit my lip in hesitation. He’d already done so much for me, it was selfish of me to ask him for anything more, but I desperately wanted his help.

                “Echo?” He sounded worried.

                “Will you help me?” My voice sounded small and fragile, even to my own ears.

                His smile was absolutely breathtaking and made my heart hurt, “Of course, Echo-chan.”