Chapter 9, The Treatening Coin

Forever young, ch 9

Forever Young

Chapter 9

Selima's PoV

All I see is red. The sun is burning its way through my eyelids. Wait... The sun shouldn't be out yet. It's only four AM. Unless...

My body jerks forward into a sitting position, causing shots of pain to shoot through my body. I scan the room for a clock and find one in a very obvious place. It was on the bed side table. The clock displayed the time, '6:07'.

I'm up later than usual. It doesn't feel... right. I slept well, that was for sure. My neck hurt like hell and my ribs throbbed with an aching pain. Yet I still slept great. It was... puzzling.

"It's because we slept with our mate." My cat told me. "It is where we belong." She stated finally leaving no room for arguments. It's not like I disagreed. I did belong with my mate; it just is that my mate happens to be the person that has put me through hell.

I looked over at Kayden. He had fallen asleep with his laptop on his lap. His neck looked uncomfortably craned and I felt bad. I shouldn't have. He deserved to have a sour neck.

I couldn't stop myself from walking towards his sleeping form and removing the laptop from his lap. I scotched his body down so his head was resting on the pillows and pulled the blanket up to his chest. A soft smile came to his face and it made my hart jump a little.

My cat was getting very jumpy, I thought to myself. She usually doesn't have to go this long without shifting, not that it's been very long. I just shift a lot.

"Shift" She commanded me. I complied easily. As I imagined my cat in my head, I began feeling the beginning stage of shifting take place. First, I feel all my bones bending and breaking. Next, they mold themselves into a cat's skeleton; soft, cat hair simultaneously growing all over my body. Finally, I feel myself shrink into a small kitten.

This all takes place behind a blinding flash. It also takes place insanely fast. I mean really. It's faster than Flash himself. Hehe... I barely know who that guy is. I know he's a supper dude, but that's about it.

I looked down and realized that I had shifted. That was fast... as I just explained. I lifted my paw in the air and studied my claws. My worst nightmare was to be declawed. It is the same for all cat shifters. Even the thought made my cringe. That's what they do to those who are enslaved. It makes it so they can never get away; so they cannot protect themselves.

I shook my head, as if I was shaking the thought away. I didn't feel like thinking of depressing matters.

3rd Person PoV

Selima looked around the bedroom with an evil glint in her eyes. She pounced as high as her kitten body could and landed on the dresser. There was a stray string, most likely from a pair of basketball shorts, hanging out of the drawer.

She attacked! Her claws extended and she jumped onto it, latching on with an iron grip; never to let go. Her teeth were sinking into the poor, defeated string, and her eyes were full of happiness.

Meanwhile, Kayden lay in bed, secretly watching his perfect mate kill his pants string. Selima didn't need to know he was awake yet. He just wanted to sit and watch her play. Her eyes snapped to another "threatening" object in the room; a quarter that had been dropped half-hazardly onto the floor.

She flew to the floor and wacked it with her paw. The stray coin fled the scene, trying to get away. Selima couldn't let that happen. She pursued it across the room and tackled it. Rolling over, belly in the air, and hit the quarter again. It, being the criminal it is, ran away again. Kayden's kitten followed right behind.