10 September 2014

Yesterday, after that nurse picked up the call, I was just too horrified to speak anything.

Elena's nurse? Why does she need a nurse? 

I tried calling her again after the previous call ended but the it was switched off. And I hadn't even asked the nurse which hospital was she in nor do I know where Elena lives. 

What kind of brother am I? 

So the first thing I did today in the morning was call her again. This time someone finally picked up the call.

"Hello?"

"Yes?"

"May I speak to Elena?"

"She is unconscious right now."

"Where is she?"

"Mount Sinai Hospital. Who are you?"

"I am her brother."

"Alright." 

And the call ended. 

I rushed upstairs to put a t-shirt and a trouser. I was ready within minutes. 

DING DONG

Emily!

I rushed downstairs to take the letter from Pe.... the postman.

"Good morning sir!"

"Oh Peter! I am glad to see you. How are you?"

"I am alright. Are you in a hurry sir? "

"Yeah. Just give me the letter."

I took the letter from him and then rushed inside to get my car keys.

"Take care sir!"

"Sure Peter."

I rushed into my car and drove as fast as I could. Maybe I don't remember anything about my relationship with Elena but now I do know that she is my sister and I am pretty sure that she must have been a good sister. So now it's time for me to be a good brother.

__________

"Where is Mrs. Elena admitted?"

"Who are you?"

"I am her brother."

"She is in the ICU. It's on the right end of the corridor."

ICU? 

SHIT. They won't even let me in then. 

When I reached the ICU, I saw an old lady standing there. She was crying

"Ma'am, is Elena inside?"

"Jeremy?"

She knew me?

"Oh Jeremy!" And she hugged me.

"Umm... who are you?"

At once, she detached herself from me.

"Yes. Elena is inside. But we can't see her now. You may sit here."

I sat at the seat there but I was getting restless. And that ain't something good because when I get restless, I sometime become a bit violent too.

Emily! She can help me feel better. 

I took out the letter from my pocket.

Dear Stranger,

How are you? I am not at all fine. How can I be after knowing about your sister? I feel so bad right now! I want to come to you. I want to meet her but I can't. Elena was always good to me. She helped me at all times and now I am not here besides her when I should be. 

I am so angry at god right now! How could he even do something like this with Elena? Had she not already been through a lot? She had to witness the dreadful sight of a father killing his own child! She had seen you leaving. Things went a bit wrong between your mother and her. Yet she managed to survive. And now when things were getting better, God decided to test her again? This is just pathetic!

I know I shouldn't be bragging about my own feelings because you must be feeling even worse than I do. But I can't help it stranger. I love her too!

I hope she gets well soon.

Lets just hope that her cancer is curable.

Take care!

I love you.

Yours 

Emily

Cancer?

*Hides behind her bed* 

Hi everyone. Ummm... please don't hit me or kill me. Please? I know this is not good but.... I am sorry!

So there is one thing that I wanted to tell you people and it is important. Many of you must have felt that the previous letter that you read was a repetition and I am aware of that. It ain't a mistake but a deliberate action.

There is one more thing but if I write it here then that would be a spoiler. 

So just read this book till the end to get the answers to all your questions.

Thank you so much!

-Divya