The End of Happiness

The next morning, against both her brother's and her doctor's wishes, Rosalia got up, got dressed and went to one of the upstairs parlours to spend the day.

The Frog was asleep. Slump across her lap, unconscious and no amount of prodding and shaking could wake him from his catatonic state.

So Rosalia was left with tea, a book, and her own imagination to mull over the conversation she'd had the night before.

Nothing was really that much clearer then it had been before.

She still didn't know how to free The Frog.

She didn't know who Cliffwood and his family really were.

She didn't know why they had kidnapped her.

She didn't know how or why they knew of The Frog

She didn't really know anything.

Apart from the fact that The Frog... that Braydon wanted to die.

He didn't even want to try anymore.

He didn't want to meet his brother one last time.

He didn't want to face the world he didn't know anymore.

Surely that couldn't have been all.

There was no doubt the world had changed, the world had to change as time marched on, but people had adjusted. Luka had adjusted because he had long been in contact with the royal family and of course he had Beldon with him. Briar had adjusted because she was out travelling and learning about the world with Kilan at her side.

They had adjusted.

Braydon could adjust. She would help him adjust.

... But how did you help someone who wanted to die? How did you help someone who was too scared to live?

One would assume you removed the fear... but surely not knowing and recognising the world didn't warrant a fear so great you'd want to die?

She glanced down at The Frog who was breathing quietly, his skin a paler shade of green than normal before she let out a sigh.

The door opened then and Rosalia settled her hand over The Frog as a maid came in.

"Sorry to bother you, Miss, only you have guest."

"Who? If it's Yumiko, show her up here."

"Ah, no Miss, it's Mr. Cliffwood, he's hoping to check on your condition," the maid said and Rosalia jolted so hard at the name she almost knocked The Frog off her lap.

"Cliffwood? Here? Now?!" she cried.

"Yes, Miss. Shall I show him up or-"

"NO!" Rosalia shouted, launching to her feet, hugging The Frog tight to her chest - if the maid noticed, she didn't comment. "No! Show him out! Don't let him stay a second longer!"

"Are you sure, Miss?" her maid asked, startled by such a violent reaction.

"Of course! Get rid of him!" Rosalia snarled and her maid raced out of the room. Rosalia followed almost straight away, staying back as far as she could, keeping out of sight as best she could once the entrance hall was in view.

Mr. Cliffwood stood to one side of the hall, looking at one of the painting of the six siblings, his top hat and coat still on, hands folded in front of him on his cane.

"I'm sorry, Sir," her maid said, coming down the stairs, "I'm afraid my mistress is not fit to see anyone right now."

Rosalia let out a sigh of relief, thanking her maid for having a practical, tactful head on her shoulders.