The Cricket Match

Despite the icy parting on the night of the ball, the topic wasn't brought up again after Rosalia came back to collect The Frog. There was obviously no chance to work it out during the carriage ride home and Rosalia was nearly the walking dead by the time they reached her room and was practically falling asleep as her maid helped her change. By the time morning arrived, the moment to talk had passed. 

Rosalia's attention turned the picnic, sending word to Beldon to ask when he'd be visiting and explain that he'd been roped into a cricket match due to their eldest brother's pride.

A week drifted by and Beldon returned home for the match and also to attend a ball that would be held at court. Their father's mood was greatly increased by his son's presence (and the lack of Luka's).

What started as a small match quickly turned into a rather large event as Rosalia called on friends and Valentine put together enough men for two teams.

They planned to spend the day in the country – leaving early so they could make the most of the day – and return to town late.

Valentine and Mr. Cliffwood were placed as captains of each team. Beldon chose Valentine's team – ever loyal to his brother. Constantine chose Mr. Cliffwood's team – ever competitive against his brother.

The match was to take place on a vast field that belonged to Rosalia's family, attached to one of their county homes. Servants lugged furniture from the carriages, setting up tables and chairs, blankets, shade, food, drink, a small harp and food bowls for the little dogs one of the ladies had brought along.

It was quite the operation to see that it all went smoothly and that they were settled by eleven. Rosalia had to admire Antoinette who had appeared to manage any and all social events with ease. She now having her own family and household of course meant the job fell to her younger sisters.

Rosalia sank onto the grass at eleven on the drop and let out a long breath, tired and the day had barely begun. The gentlemen were setting up the pitch, digging the wickets into place, shrugging off their jackets and rolling up their sleeves. Valentine's team was set to bowl first and Beldon was forbidden from bowling the entire match because, according to his university friends and Raoul, it made things unfair – at least according to the friends who were on the opposing team.

So Beldon was set as a fielder at the far back – sulking – and one of the other men, O'Kinnley, was the first bowler.

The whole thing was very informal of course, loose rules, loose play, loose viciousness – at the beginning at least.

"They're becoming quite rambunctious, aren't they?" Yumiko said, sitting down beside Rosalia who had pulled out a book and was flicking though to her last place. Around her the other ladies were sitting on blankets or on chairs, chatting or politely cheering the men on – attempting to be subtle about their particular favourites.

Rosalia glanced up, then shifted the fabrics of her dress slightly so she hid The Frog who had been sat in the folds of her skirt, watching the match.

"They are, but my brothers' always get overly aggressive when challenged," Rosalia said, watching as Constantine torn up and down the pitch, the ball hurling back towards the wicket-keeper.

"It's very different from sports to my country. Is it hard to play?"

Rosalia thought about it for a moment. "No it's not... well I suppose it depends on what you mean by hard. The way the gentlemen are playing now? Not at all, this is just a friendly game. We shall attend an official match during the summer."