A Moment of Happiness

"Rosalia, darling, I had no idea you were expecting a proposal from Mr. Cliffwood."

The moment Rosalia stepped into her father's office; she was wrapped in his arms and hugged tightly, his joy brimming off him when he held her at arm's length.

"Well I cannot say I planned it," Rosalia said.

Her father smiled and squeezed her arms before walking back to his desk, sitting down. "Well, so long as it's done. You should have hinted something; I would not have tried to make you marry Lord Luka."

"And seeing as I do not have to marry him anymore, does this mean Bel does not need join the army?" Rosalia asked and her father instantly waved the notion off.

"Of course he's to join the army; he has already been signed up."

Rosalia sat down hard. Her father didn't notice as he riffled through sheets of paper.

"What a joyous day. You engaged, Beldon finally coming back to his senses. Such a relief to see this family finally returning to its true self."

"Have you spoken to Bel since last night?"

"No, I haven't seen him. He may be returning to university soon as it is anyway, he wasn't supposed to be away. He'll have to plan for your engagement party in fact. We shall look into his schedule. You must start organising a guest list, speak to Antoinette about that, she will help you."

"I wish for time alone."

Her father looked at her in surprise. "Alone?"

"I need to sit... let it all sink in... out of the house. Which of our houses is ready?"

"Ready? Waxwane Manor is ready. As is Beldon's cottage but I do not believe there are any staff there."

"I will go to Waxwane," Rosalia said, standing up. "I'm leaving tonight; I shall be back in time for Miss Rosemary's reception. I just wish for the night alone."

"Rose, dear, are you alright?" her father asked.

"Alright?" Rosalia asked, stopping at the door and looking at him.

"You have just become engaged, my dear. I still remember the joy I felt when I was engaged to your mother, where is your excitement?"

Rosalia stared at her father for a long time, before her brow creased in almost disgusted confusion. "Papa, you really do not understand, do you?" she said, opening the door, "Mr. Cliffwood and I are not you and Mother. Antoinette and her husband are like you. Beldon and Luka are like you... I am anything but."

Her father looked at her for a moment, then sighed, taking off his glasses and leaning back in his seat. "Rose, there are worse people you can marry," he said gently, "you will learn to love if you do not love right this moment."

Rosalia opened her mouth, about to contradict him, to tell him who Mr. Cliffwood and his siblings were but something held her back.

Two things.

One; Beldon. If there was truly not way to stop Beldon leaving, she needed to know he was safe.

Two: her father would not believe her. He closed his mind off to the idea of enchantment years ago. Even when her mother had been alive, he had not been the one to partake in the wonder of fantasy.

It pained her but she feared he would not even believe her if she told him Lucinda had been behind her abduction.

So she held her tongue, curtsied to him and walked out. Her maids packed her things, a message was sent ahead to Waxwane and a small group was prepared for the sudden departure.