Chapter 4

The next morning I woke up to bright sunlight through the window. I looked at the time, 9am, then realised what day it was today, my 17th birthday! I jumped out of bed and took a shower getting changed in to a black aztec print cropped t-shirt with some pale denim shorts. I curled my hair putting the front in to a quiff then applied the usual make-up.

I checked my phone to see texts from all four of the boys wishing me a happy birthday, as well as three other texts from Ollie, Mum and my cousin Alix.

"Message From: Ollie,

Happy 17th baby! Love you so much & I'll skype you at 11! Don't forget! ;) Ol <3"

"Message From: Mum,

Happy 17th Birthday darling, have a super day and I love you. Mum :) xx"

"Message From: Alix,

Omg you're 17 now! Happy birthday! Miss you already, hopefully me and your mum are visiting during summer! :D Love ya Jess! Al :-) xx"

Alix and I have been best friends since we were tiny. We're best friends as well as cousins. She's a few weeks younger than me so she'll be 17 in a few weeks. After replying to the texts I went down stairs to see Dad, Nathan & Kieran stood around a helium balloon that had a massive "17" on it and some presents. 

"Happy Birthday Jess" They all shouted at once. I tried to be happy and forget that I'd found Dad with another woman last night. "Thank you!" I smiled, hugging them. I opened all my presents to find a $100 iTunes voucher and a Pandora bracelet from Dad, Nathan and Kieran along with some charms for it. I'd got vouchers and gift cards from most of my other family members and Mum had bought me some new clothes before I left the UK as part of my present.

I ate breakfast that Dad had made then explained my plan for the day and went upstairs. I put my new Pandora on and turned my laptop on and waited for Ollie.

"Hey Birthday girl" He smirked once I'd answered the call. "Hey Ol" I smiled. We talked for a bit before he had to go as he had school. I went into my studio and loaded my iTunes voucher on to my account and bought some new music which loaded straight on to my iPhone. 

I got called down at lunch for a meal that Dad had cooked then I went and watched Finding Nemo with my brothers before I went out for the afternoon with Luke, Calum, Ashton and Michael. As the credits rolled across the screen, the doorbell went. I quickly took the DVD out of the player and took the boys to their room to play before grabbing my shoes and answering the door to Luke who was waiting for me while the other boys were sat in the car. 

"Hey Luke" I smiled, picking up my handbag with my keys, phone and purse in it. I slipped my shoes on and shut the door behind me. "You look stunning" Luke whispered as we walked to the car. "Thanks, you don't look bad yourself" I winked. 

Just as we were arriving at the mystery destination, which looked like a nice restaurant, I got a picture message from Alix. Alix went to the same school as us and is in Ollie's form, she knows him quite well too.

"Message From: Alix,

Hey babe, don't want to ruin your birthday, but this has been going around FB all this morning, apparently it was just before class.. Al x *Picture of Ollie and some girl from the grade below making out earlier*"

I thought we were right together, I thought that he meant it when he told me that he loved me. I don't even think that it was a mistake, he probably never loved me, he probably didn't even like me. I couldn't believe it, I felt a tear roll down my cheek and tried to wipe it away before Cal or Luke noticed as I was sat in between them while Ashton was driving and Michael was in the passenger seat. 

"Are you okay?" Luke asked, once I realised that I wasn't going to be able to hold the tears in. I passed him my phone that had the picture open that Alix had sent me, "What a d*ck" He said, probably a bit louder than he'd expected it to come out. "What's up?" Michael asked from the front. The boys all saw the picture and passed my phone back to me. 

I quickly typed a message to Ollie and sent it...

"Message To: Ollie,

I can't believe you. We're over, I thought you meant it when you said you loved me. Obviously not. Bye Ollie, Jess"

I wiped the tears away and Luke gave me a hug which was a bit awkward seen as we were still sat in the car. I felt safe in his arms, something I never really felt with Ollie. We got out the car when we arrived at the restaurant and Luke took my hand a squeezed it reassuringly. As we were about to sit down, I realised that I was still holding his hand. I sat down in between Calum and Ashton, opposite Luke and Michael. 

We ordered our food and after we'd eaten we decided that we were going to go back to my house. We all got back in the car and headed back to my house. I unlocked the door and we went upstairs. Seen as Dad seemed occupied with this mystery woman I told them that I was going to put Nathan and Kieran to bed. I was just putting them to sleep when I saw Luke standing in the doorway. 

I walked out of their rooms and walked towards Luke, "You're amazing with them" He smiled as we walked upstairs. "I guess someone has to be after what happened" I told him, realising they didn't know what happened. "I need to tell you what happened" I explained to them when we got back to my room.

"Well, when I was 15, my parents split up. It was a hard time for me and my brothers as we were always closer to Mum than Dad, and we couldn't live with my Mum as she's a nurse and works extremely long hours. We moved in with Dad and I ended up looking after them like Mum did as Dad was always busy, when Dad got offered this job, we ended up moving here. I didn't want to leave my Mum, Ollie or Alix, my cousin.  When we arrived here, the first night, just before I went to sleep, I found Dad with another woman. I still don't know who she is, and then I got the text from Ollie today, just nothing seems to be going right" I told them. 

They were the first people I'd ever told that to in full. I hadn't noticed that there were tears streaming down my face and that Luke was giving me a hug. "Thank you" I whispered. "No problem" He smiled. 

"I don't even know why that idiot cheated if I'm honest, he was lucky to have a girl like you" Ashton said. "Thanks Ash" I smiled. "I've got to get home now" Michael said, looking up from his phone, "Me too" Ashton and Calum said in unison. "Do you want me to stay here?" Luke offered. I nodded, I really needed some company. 

The three boys left before Luke and I stayed up talking before I fell asleep in his arms to the sound of him singing Heartbreak Girl quietly to me.