Part Thirteen

“Zoey for fucks sake stop running!” Ruth screamed. “Ohmygod!” she yelled in frustration as her heel dug into the gravel and made her lose balance. She stopped running, took her shoes off and continued. “Ohmygod Zoey I swear to God if you don’t stop running”

They were on the roadside and Zoey was on the sidewalk waiting for a cab

“Don’t even Ruth” she said. Her back was to Ruth and her voice broke at every word.

Ruth stopped, trying to catch her breath “I’m not going to do anything”

She walked to Zoey and turned to face her. Zoey was biting her lip, her makeup was smudged and she was shivering. 

“I’m not going to stop you” she said staring into Zoeys eyes “I’m just coming with you”

Zoey let out a breath and started hyperventilating. It physically hurt to breathe, thinking about Garrett and Rachel and everything just made her want to run. And never stop running.

“Taxi!” she called “I’m sorry Ruth, I love you but I just really need to be alonerightnow”

Ruth let out an exasperated sigh. Her heart was still beating fast when her phone started ringing. It was John

“She’s gone” she reported

“So is Garrett”

--

Before Ruth could protest Zoey had already gotten into the cab. She needed to be alone. This kind of pain was uncharted territory and Zoey knew that even Ruth, although she had been there many times before, couldn’t help her.

“Just” she gasped “Drive around the block a couple times” she told the driver.

She sighed and leaned back. She put her hands up to her face and closed her eyes. “Okay breathe, breathe, one, two, in, out, breathe” she said to herself.

“You okay miss?” the driver asked. Zoey wasn’t sure if he actually cared if she was okay or not. He wasn’t from around here. His accent was heavy, a Brooklyn accent. Well he sure was far from home.

“Yeah I’m fine” she answered hoping he wouldn’t inquire further. She knew he was just trying to be helpful but she really didn’t need the sympathy right there. She leaned back and let her shoulders slouch. When she was calm enough to think clearly she started wondering why all of this bothered her so much. She hadn’t felt this way about anyone, ever, and that included Jason. Who she was involved with for years mind you so that was saying a lot. A lot.

Maybe it’s because with Jason it was all so routine. It was so normal. But with Garrett, now Garrett was something else. She smiled at the mention of his name, even if she was the one thinking about him. When she was with Garrett everything was different. It felt right. The two of them. Zoey didn’t believe in fate but being with Garrett made her want to believe that maybe if two people are destined to be with each other the universe finds a way to make that happen. That maybe not everything’s random and coincidental.

But Rachel.

She frowned, a familiar pain in her chest. Rachel. She knew that Garrett wasn’t over her, she also knew that Garrett might never get over her. Looking at the tattoo just reminded Zoey of how it was Rachels permanent mark on Garrett. Years from now whenever Garrett looks at that tattoo he’d think of Rachel and how he was hopelessly in love with her, how she was the one he wanted to be with forever.

Pain like that doesn’t go away overnight.

“Uh, Miss we’ve been driving around in circles for over a half hour. You sure you want me to keep going?” Mr. Brooklyn in front asked

Zoey lifted her fingers to her temples. It was pointless driving around she might as well go home.