Part Seven

“Arghh” Zoey screamed throwing pop corn at the tv screen “Shit he’s gonna kill her!”

They were on the floor of Garretts bedroom watching DOTD, they were on part three now. They had retreated to his bedroom as soon as band practice was over and had been holed up there ever since.

“Look at that blood!” Garrett shouted pointing toward the screen with pop corn still in his mouth

“Swallow before you choke and I have to perform CPR on you!” Zoey pointed out

--

“Garrett!” Zoey screamed “Ohmygod what the hell is she doing!?” Zoey was atop Garretts bed screaming. It was well past midnight and they were on the last part. They hadn’t stopped watching since they started and their diets for the past few hours were pretty much caffeine and pop corn. Needless to say they were hyper.

“Ohmygod I can’t watch! I can’t watch!” she was screaming

“He’s coming! Ohmygod Zoey he’s behind her! Open your eyes you’re missing it! ZOEY YOU’RE MISSING IT” they were both screaming now.

“Ohhhhh” they both said in unison as they watched the zombie slay the last human remaining. Once the excitement had died down Garrett stood up and began cleaning the pop corn off the floor and bed. Zoey lay on it with her eyes closed. After he was done he joined her. They sat there in the silence for a little while. But it wasn’t an awkward kind. It was the kind of silence where none of them had to say anything.

Zoey finally opened her eyes and sighed

“Jason and I were together since High school” she began. Garrett and her were going to talk about it eventually so why not skip ahead “We were best friends for about a year. I had a hard time because I had transferred in from New York and he was there for me. After about a year he told me he liked me. We went out ever since”

“What happened?” he asked still looking at the ceiling.

Zoey got up and angled her body toward him, tracing lines on his bed sheet she said “He was a douche” she put simply. She started laughing when she saw Garretts toothy grin. “No, in all seriousness, it was complicated. I mean we loved each other, at least I loved him. But we were together for so long he just took us for granted..” She sighed again and looked at Garrett.

He wasn’t smiling anymore. His breathing was heavy.

“We broke up after we graduated high school but we never got over each other. It’s been on and off since. Ruth hates him”

Garrett chuckled

“She has a good sense about people” he said looking at Zoey

For a second they just looked at each other smiling. Garrett felt something in his chest, a pang of hurt and giddy excitement. Weird combination. When no one said anything Zoey lay back again and looked at his ceiling. Garrett was so close to her she could feel the heat radiating from his body. She also felt his hand reach over, his finger entwining itself with hers.