19. The Perfect Dress

Avery's POV

We finally arrive at the first store Aubrey wants to visit. We walk in and go towards a section with a group of brightly coloured dresses, all with different styles and patterns. How am I supposed to know which one to pick? I know absolutely nothing about fashion or clothes or how they're supposed to fit on you. That's Aubrey's expertise. Aubrey immediately goes to one of the workers and brings her over to me.

She is a young girl, somewhere around our age and has chestnut brown pretty hair and a stylish vibe around her. The name tag on her top says 'Mandy'. Aubrey and Mandy talk about me and it sounds like they're speaking another language with all the strange fashion terms like 'couture' and 'typify'. It's like I'm not even there socially but I sure am there physically. Neither of them say a word to me but are talking about me and keep on referring to me.

Aubrey tells Mandy about where we're going while she looks through the dresses and they make casual chat about it. Mandy picks out a few and hangs them over her arm. A few turns into a lot as the pile towers to the height of Mandy's head. After she's finished choosing the dresses, she puts them on a bench. Aubrey dives straight into it, ordering me to stand next to her.

She holds each dress up to my neck and then decides if she likes it or not. I can tell by her expression which way she goes.

She either gleams brightly or stiffly shakes her head and her facial features differ throughout all the dresses. I am so grateful that Aubrey is here to help because otherwise, I would be absolutely hopeless. After all the holding-ups, Aubrey has made a neat pile of dresses that she like and dresses that she doesn't. Mandy takes away the pile of dresses that Aubrey wasn't satisfied with and Aubrey picks up the other pile and spreads them out so that I can see every dress as they slightly overlap each other.

"Ok, now it's your turn. Put the dresses you like here and the ones you don't here" she says gesturing towards two ends of the bench. Aubrey seems so in her element here as if she was born to do this. I really hope she gets a career in fashion because she is really good at talking and choosing parts of clothing. I scan the dresses looking for anything that doesn't seem right or not to my liking.

I think that all this dress choosing is going to do my head in. I look at a few ones and end up picking 6 dresses that seem nice and pretty I guess. Now, Aubrey looks at them again seeing my choices. She smiles at a few of them and then flashes another smile at me.

"Yes thank god, you've finally picked out a few nice dresses! But, now, unless you want to try on 6 dresses I strongly recommend that you narrow them down to a few" she says. Now what do I do.

The dresses that I've chosen are quite nice I guess so I decide to look at the parts I like about them and see which ones I like more than others. After a few minutes, I've got 3 dresses for me to try on. The part I've dreaded the whole time.

It just seems awkward trying on a dress that isn't yours, like if you don't buy it then someone else might get it but you've already worn it. I just find it kind of strange. Aubrey hands me the 3 dresses and walks me over to the dressing rooms. I put each of them on the hook and take off the first one. It is a bluey kind of colour and has a lace bit over it and also comes with a blue belt. I undress and then put it on and do up the belt. I look in the mirror and it looks ok I guess. I walk out of the curtain thing and see Aubrey waiting there on a couch. She looks at it wondering whether it suits me or not.

"Wow you look great in dresses! Who would've thought that you were hiding all that under all those layers of clothes" she says gesturing at me with a grin.

"It's nice but there's something about it I don't like. Don't worry, it's not you, it's the dress" she adds and I walk back in and take it off, placing it back on the hanger. The second one is an orange high low dress-I think Aubrey called it that. It is light and airy and has a soft material. I put it on and tighten the strap around the waist. I unlock the door and walk out again. Aubrey smiles at it and trails her gaze around the dress.

"That ones really pretty. It's the perfect length for you. I like it" she says with a thumbs up. I go back in and remove the dress. There is only the last one now. It is a black and white dress with an aztec print and has long sleeves. I slide it up my body and slip my arms through the sleeves. I walk out the change room and Aubrey gasps. She looks at it for a bit before revealing a wide grin.

"Oh my god, you look amazing! I love it! This is the one, Avery. " she says before getting up and hugging me. I just awkwardly pat her back.

"Jordan is gonna love you in this" she whispers, causing me to pull back rom the hug, not that I was hugging her.

"He doesn't l-like m-" I try and state again.

"I know I know that's what you think but I know that he likes you, ok" she says and the pushes me back into the cubicle to get changed.

Hey there!

1K reads oh my god this is so exciting!!!

It may not seem like a lot, but it is a big deal to me.

2 updates in 2 days yay! there is more shopping coming up in the next chapters so if it's not your kind of thing then sorry. I'm not exactly interested in clothes either so hey we might have something in common! Ok, keep reading and enjoy!

Rebelllama