Chapter 16

My heart was pounding against my chest. Celia, my best friend, was dead. After knowing her for three years, I had gotten to love her like my sister. Suddenly she had been torn out of my life like a page in an old book.

I needed her. She was always there when I was alone or scared. I felt so lonely without her by my side.

"I'm so sorry, Celia," I whispered into the dark.

Flashback:

"H-Help!" I yelled as I sat upright in my bed.

Rain was drumming down on the windows, scaring me half to death. It was like the glass would smash and everything would be able to come get me. Like all of my fears would catch up with me.

"Jared..." I mumbled.

I needed him there with me. At least to comfort me. To let me know I wasn't alone. But I was.

I was completely hopeless. My frail body couldn't fend for itself at all. I needed someone. Anyone.

"Avery?" Called Celia.

She was just across the room and immediately assessed the situation expertly. I slowly wiped my tear stained face and laid back down.

"Hey, it's okay," she said calmly, walking over to me.

I moved over a little so she had space and she laid down beside me. I sniffed a little, due to my crying and she smiled at me.

"Scared of the storm?"

I nodded and covered my head with my covers. She patted me on the head gently.

"You know, there's a song I used to like and I listened to it when I was feeling scared." She told me.

I looked at her, squinting through the darkness at her silhouette. Her hair was a little messy and her makeup was all gone. She had light pink pyjamas with stars on them.

"I remember tears streaming down your face when I said I'll never let you go.
When all those shadows almost killed your light.
I remember you said 'don't leave me here alone'
But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight.
Tonight.
Just close your eyes,
The sun is going down,
You'll be alright,
No one can hurt you now,
Come morning light,
You and I'll be
Safe and sound...."

After a while, my eyes closed, ignoring the storm outside. I was finally safe and sound...

-= End of flashback =-

Once again, the tears started falling. I couldn't help it anymore. I let out a little whine as well which may have sounded pathetic but it was all I could do.

My best friend was gone. There was nothing else to do. Nothing would bring her back. Although my heart was already broken, it had been torn right out of my chest and stamped on right in front of me.

"Hey, I know I'm probably not making this any better but at least she's not suffering anymore," he said.

I looked to the side and saw him giving me a concerned look. He was right though. If she was still alive, Celia would be a servant still. Maybe she'd even stay in the cells due to me being a traitor.
"I know..." I mumbled.
A/N

It's a short chapter but at least I got to publish something today :D

Anyway, the song is called "Safe and Sound".
It's from the Hunger Games and I thought it would be a really nice song to listen to whilst reading ^-^