Four - Koi Rooke

Princess Velvet Bishop

"So do you have feelings for this guy?" Axel asks as we saddle up. I throw my leg over Mare to mount her, and we walk out of the stable.

"Love is for the weak." I spit.

"What about Mother and Father?" He locks the barn, and we start to sneak out of the Inner City.

"They're special, I guess. But what will happen when one of them dies? The other won't be able to continue being a suitable ruler." It's a logical argument, and Axel knows it. I unlock the gate to the Inner City, and we exit.

"You have no way to know that, Vel!"

I don't answer, because I don't want to wake the Commoners. We ride until we reach the woods, where I lead us to the path we always take, and break into a gallop. Axel is right on my tail, and I feel free again. The hood of my cloak flies back, my hair flowing in the wind. The golden clasp threatens to choke me, but I don't care. We go faster, jumping over a stream, as the sun rises, casting a warm glow over the forest.

"Vel!" Axel passes me, but then slows. I sigh, and bring Mare to a walk. "Can we talk about this please?"

"Mother wants him wrapped around my finger, and he is. I might feel something for him, but I'd never act upon it."

"Do you know what I'd give to have someone speed up my heart? Have someone make me happy, in a romantic way? Wake up to someone every morning who loves me for me. Not my title, not my position, not my power, just me." Axel's so emotional. I see his eyes misting over, but he tries to hide it.

"Well I don't have that either. I don't know if Koi loves me. I don't know if he loves me for me, or if he's just like the rest of them."

"I guess." Axel mutters. "But it'd still be nice to have a chance."

"You'll always have me, though." I smile, and grab Axel's hand. We ride side by side, Axel starting to regain his composure.

"I took care of the Apollo case." Axel takes his hand back, and pets Bishop's mane.

"Thanks. What'd the attorney say?" Mare stops to chew on some grass, but I gently pull her head up and keep following Axel and Bishop.

"She's meeting me at noon with his official job description."

"Perfect! I might drop by." I ride a little faster to get next to Axel and gauge his reaction. He nods, but changes the subject.

"Wanna stop for a minute?" Axel jumps off Bishop, tieing him to a tree. I get off Mare, and walk her to the tree next to Bishop. They happily eat the grass around, and I redo my cloak and put up my hood. Axel's own cloak is forest green, with a silver clasp. As I redo mine, he redoes his. Twin instincts, I guess. We walk around, and I see another stream to the left. I walk across it, on a hollow log, and sit in the middle. The water rushes under me, and Axel carefully joins me.

"Did you hear?" I ask Axel, though I know he hasn't.

"What?"

"Mother and Father betrothed Sayer."

"What!?" Axel's eyes grow wide for our poor baby brother.

"Some Noble named Story Knight. I don't like her." I shake my head. "Poor Sayer."

"I guess we're really lucky to be sixteen." Axel half chuckles in a sad way, because we both know we'd hate to be betrothed. But we both know we'd feel worse for our betrothed, because we'd probably have them assassinated.

"Really lucky." I agree. "But Mother and Father will still expect us to marry. Me especially." We sit in silence, just listening to the world. The wind in the trees, the rushing water below, the birds chirping, the world is waking up, and it's beautiful.

"We should keep going. The sun's almost up." Axel jumps up on the log, and walks off it. I sigh, knowing he's right, and walk back to Mare.

"This time goes by so quickly." I sigh again, mounting Mare. We gallop off back towards the town, and though I redid my cloak the hood still flies from my face.

Back in my chambers, I let my personal maids bathe me, and then let the servant dress me in a floor length green cape and slim green dress that only reaches my knees. Before I can decide what heels I want to wear, there's another knock at the door.

"Mail! You have lots of letters Your Highness!" The servant who was cleaning my bathroom pretends she can't hear, but I see her sly smile.

"Come in!" I call, and the mailman opens the door, and hands me a sack of letters. Then he bows, and a letter falls out of his bag as he leaves. I pick it up as well, dropping the letters on my desk next to the balcony. I take the seal off the first letter, and open it.

The Royal Princess Velvet Bishop,

I really enjoyed our time yesterday. Despite my early intentions, you showed me just how special you are. You made me feel special. Forgive me, but when I arrived I thought you'd just be like the other heirs. Snooty, superficial, all around not someone I could love. You proved me wrong. We haven't spent much time together, but I feel as if I've known you forever. Even if I never see you again, I thank you for the moments last night.

Your Loyal Subject,

- Koi Rooke

I smile as I read his letter, and put it off to the side for later. Even his handwriting is perfect. So small, so delicate. I remember I promised that if he wrote I'd write back. I open another letter, and it rather surprises me.

The Royal Princess Velvet Bishop,

I am sure you don't remember me. You didn't dance with me, or even look at me last night. But you still have my heart. I toiled to make sure everything was perfect for you. In my heart I know we can't be together, because I am only a servant. And you are a perfect princess. I will have to sneak this letter into the mailman's bag for you. I can only hope you're the first to read this, and choose to keep my secret. For this reason, I've chosen to keep my identity a secret.

Your ever loyal servant,

-F

Half of me wants to issue a mandatory handwriting sample, but the note is too cute to punish. It makes me chuckle, but I decide to keep this letter as well. Two good letters in a row. Despite myself, I smile as I remove the seal of a third letter.

The Royal Princess Velvet Bishop,

I much enjoyed our dance last night, as I'm sure you did too. I understand you have to act aloof, but I saw the passion in your eyes last night. Don't worry, Princess. I can wait. ;)

Until we meet again,

-Venen Checker

The handwriting is bad, the arrogance he displays is remarkable, and the little wink proves he really thinks he's all that. I don't even remember him. I toss the letter in the trash, my smile gone. Only like fifty more left. Then I remember the letter that fell from the mailman's bag, and open it.

The Queen of Alkali, Siaren Bishop-White,

This is your sister (obviously). After the events of last night I went to see the doctor, who informed me of some news. I'm pregnant. Yes, I'm aware you and Kylan didn't approve it, but what are you going to tell people? That you can't even keep me in line? Can't enforce your laws? I'm not getting any younger and you've forbade me to marry. This was my last chance to have an Heir of my own. A purpose of my own. I understand this will take some time, but I have even better news. The doctor says the baby will be born on the Third day of the Sixth month of next year, when I'm writing this being the Twentieth day of the Eleventh month. If I remember correctly (which I do), the Third day of the Sixth month is your and Kylan's seventeenth anniversary. I wonder which event the people will care more about, a Royal birth, or a non important wedding date? So sorry! I can promise it wasn't planned. Anyway, I hope you find some peace in my news.

Sincerely,

-Lady Catalina White  

I gasp.