Six - Betrothal of the Perfect Princess

Princess Raelynn Bishop

"Only two years and four months until I'm free." I stare back at my reflection in the mirror. My hair has grown too long for my liking, but Mother won't let me cut it. My eyebrows hurt from all the plucking, but Father won't let me stop. My hands feel slippery from applying all the creams I use to ward off puberty, but the maids say it's for my own good. I know as long as I keep them happy, Mother and Father won't betroth me. I want to have a dream wedding, and have a beautiful family, but I want to do it with a girl. My parents would never let me marry a girl. But once I'm sixteen, they have no say. I can stop pretending. Stop being the quiet, perfect little princess. Or, once Velvet becomes Queen. She'd let me marry a girl.

"Princess Raelynn? You're going to be late!" A servant knocks on the door, knowing how I'm always punctual.

"Am I?" I look at the clock, to see it's almost six. The family dining hall is close though. I take a quick look to make sure I'm picture perfect for Mother and Father, and rush out the door. My guards trail at a respectful distance while I force myself to walk slow, like I'm in no hurry. I'm a princess.

"Raelynn, you look lovely!" I step into the dining hall and am immediately ambushed by Aunt Catalina. Her breath already smells of wine, and she looks quite fat. I don't mention it though, for the weight is oddly only in her belly.

"Thank you, Aunt Catalina." I smile sweetly. She couldn't be pregnant... Mother would never let her marry or approve a child out of Wedlock... Is she on drugs? No... the dilemma puzzles me, but my mind is soon tasked with Mother's attention.

"My little Raelynn! Come here!" Mother sweeps me into a hug. "You're so beautiful!"

"As are you, Mother." I answer politely, but almost robotically. Mother does look pretty of course, but even if she didn't I would be stupid to not return the compliment of the Queen.

"You're too kind, dear. Now go sit, I have to talk to Aunt Catalina."

"Yes, Mother." I walk over to my seat in between Axel and Sayer, both of whom are already seated. Sayer is enthralled with his knife, wielding it like a sword, and Axel is talking to Velvet, like always. I place my napkin in my lap, and wait for everyone else to sit, so we can get the formal part over with. As soon as the servants leave, we'll start yelling at each other like counselling, but it'll take a minute.

"Having fun, Sayer?" I ask. He stops his pretend sword fighting, and puts it back down, as if ashamed I caught him.

"I didn't see you come in." Sayer mumbles.

"Why so sad?" I question his sudden mood change.

"Mother and Father and Auntie Catalina and Auntie Loral are gonna yell at each other." He shifts in his seat. "I don't like it when they yell."

"I'll hold your hand if they do. But they yell to help them sort out their emotions, because they don't know how else to deal with it." I tell Sayer. This reassurance seems to please him, and my brother smiles again. Just in time, too, because that's when Mother sits down between Father and Velvet, and Father claps for the meal to begin.

"Welcome all, and thank you for joining us tonight." He stands, addressing the table. All eyes are on him. "I know we have lots of things to talk about. So without further ado, let the meal be served!" Everyone claps, and the food is served. Everyone politely chats as the servants exit, but the second the last one leaves, Mother slams her utensils down and has fire in her eyes as she bolts up. I take Sayer's hand under the table.

"How dare you come all the way down here, but refuse an invitation to my chambers!" Her words are directed at Aunt Catalina, who crosses her arms.