Fourteen - Queen Velvet Bishop

Princess Velvet Bishop

Poor, poor, Arium Redd. Such a fool. By splicing together some sound clips of his Mother, we've convinced him to turn against his own Kingdom. I walk out into the snow with a smug look on my face. Commander Haile is all over the war, and I'm meeting with her to discuss our next plan of attack tonight.

"Princess!" I snap my head towards the Noble Village. The Mental Ward is located outside the Castle gates, so any unstable people who escape cannot strangle us while we sleep. Following the voice, I see Koi. He's got snow in his dark hair, and a glint in his blue eyes.

"Koi!" No one is around, as they're probably at the market or on call for the Army. Most Noble parents are in the Army, leaving their children when duty calls.

"Why are you outside?"

"I've been checking on someone at the Mental Ward." I purse my lips a tad, and Koi nods in understanding.

"I just wanted to ask how your Father was doing." A snowball whizzes past Koi's ear, and almost hits me. I glare into the distance to see who threw it, but the young boy jogs up to us. His expression goes from jolly to mortified the instant he sees me.

"He's recovering. Mother hasn't left his side." I speak to Koi and yet my gaze is fixed on the newcomer. Poison drips from my voice, and the boy looks about to cry.

"My Heir, I'm so sorry." He stutters.

"Don't be." I sigh. "It didn't actually hit me." I still stare at the boy, but less harshly. "But you were on your way?" I ask him.

"Oh, yes." He runs away quickly, not even saying goodbye to Koi.

"I'm sorry about him." Koi shifts uncomfortably. "Hey, um... would you like to come to my school dance with me?" He seems so sincere, I want to say yes. I really do. The word catches in my mouth, but I refuse to look flustered in front of Koi.

"I'll see if I can." I nod. "There's a lot going on, but I'd certainly love to." My voice almost cracks at the end, but I keep it together. It starts to snow heavily, and I give Koi a quick hug. "I have to go."

"Bye." He whispers, and looks into my eyes. He looks like he doesn't want to let go. Like he doesn't want to say goodbye. I turn, refusing to look back, and tell myself the tears are from the cold.

Back inside my chambers I take a second and breathe. Axel is supposed to come over and hang out in about an hour. I walk out onto my balcony and let the snow cover my hair. It's so quiet on the Castle grounds, I could just climb down and walk away. No one would stop me. The cold bites at me, but I don't go back inside. The stable is a little ways off, and I see the stable hands going inside. I smile at them, but they can't see me.

"My Heir?" I whip around, and see Finn standing there. I come inside, shutting the doors behind me. Finn lights the fire, trying to warm me. I laugh, and walk over to him.

"Finn." I smile, kissing him lightly. I immediately feel his cheeks flush under me, and it makes me smile even more.

"There's actually a problem." Finn breaks away, and I sigh.

"What?"

"The prisoner, Sona Quill?"

"What about her?"

"The guards need you for something down there."

"Fine." I sigh again, kissing him lightly one more time before leaving. He puts out the fire and walks out after me. "Get Prince Axel and send him to me." I tell Finn, and he runs off. I walk down towards where Dane Quill's sister was dragged off to, fixing my lipstick as I go.