Lost Bronte Novel Plots

Pitt House
James Cockle is a loving and friendly orphan raised by a stupid and snooty uncle. Eventually he gets a job working as a nurse for the understanding Lady Pitt of Pitt House. The unlikely couple rapidly succumb to a hot passion.

On the day of their wedding, a greedy nun escapes from the attic of Pitt House and starts a fire. Believing that Lady Pitt is dead, James flees from the church and wanders the snowy moors for days until he is rescued by a giving gardener.

However, although Lady Pitt is blinded by the fire, she still breathes. Without James she becomes spiteful and proud. She turns to alcohol for comfort. The ghost of the nun from the attic haunts her.

Meanwhile, thinking Lady Pitt is dead, James accepts a marriage proposal from his saviour, the gardener. However, one night he believes he can hear Lady Pitt calling, "James, where are you? James come home!" and he returns to Pitt House.

On James's return, he finds Lady Pitt drunk and without sight. Mistaking him for the ghost of the greedy nun, she attacks him with a rope and James Cockle dies.

As she attends to the body, Lady Pitt realises what she has done. Driven mad with guilt, she hatches a plan to destroy the next generation, but there is no next generation and she dies of consumption two weeks later.

The Tenant of Doop Towers
Chloe Plumb is a generous and sympathetic orphan raised by a vile and violent matron. Eventually she gets a job working as a cleaner for the grateful Lord Doop of Doop Towers. The unlikely couple rapidly succumb to a hot passion.

On the day of their wedding, a snotty aunt escapes from the attic of Doop Towers and starts a fire. Believing that Lord Doop is dead, Chloe flees from the church and wanders the chilly moors for days until she is rescued by a lovable housekeeper.

However, although Lord Doop is blinded by the fire, he still breathes. Without Chloe he becomes thoughtless and controlling. He turns to alcohol for comfort. The ghost of the aunt from the attic haunts him.

Meanwhile, thinking Lord Doop is dead, Chloe accepts a marriage proposal from her saviour, the housekeeper. However, one night she believes she can hear Lord Doop calling, "Chloe, where are you? Chloe come home!" and she returns to Doop Towers.

On Chloe's return, she finds Lord Doop drunk and without sight. Mistaking her for the ghost of the snotty aunt, he attacks her with a rifle and Chloe Plumb dies.

As he attends to the body, Lord Doop realises what he has done. Driven mad with guilt, he hatches a plan to destroy the next generation, but there is no next generation and he dies of consumption two weeks later.