One

"I'm telling you Myra," Roni gossips with me, waving her hand. "He's gorgeous."

I chuckle at my friend, rolling my eyes. "I think you need to calm down."

"Not for me, for you!" Roni smiles widely, her teeth looking brighter than usual.

She was on her lunch break and I had decided to visit her at the coffee shop she worked at. It was a cute little place that got just enough business to continue to work every month. It was always warm and smelled of jasmine from the fresh tea they served.

"Did you whiten your teeth?" I ask, hoping to not come off rude.

"You noticed!" She squeals, "That's really good! Do you notice anything else?"

I shake my head.

"Oh, well I colored my hair back to brown," Roni shrugs. She took a sip of her iced coffee, undoubtedly looking at the door for the mysterious stranger

"Black and brown look the same to me." Since we've met about a year ago, I told her that color difference wasn't in my favor. It stopped offending me in middle school, when I was constantly asked 'Do you know what blue looks like?' or 'Can you tell her eyes are green and her hair is ginger?' The answer has always been no.

"Right," She murmurs awkwardly, toying with the name tag that says 'Veronica' that came off her white button-up shirt. Her eyes, that she told me were brown, flash to the door as the bell rings. Roni's face lights up and she taps on my hands. "That's the guy!"

"So?" I take a sip of my iced mocha, still attempting to tell her I wasn't interested in meeting anyone. 

Roni scoffs and whispers, gazing at me with excitement. "Turn around and look!"

"No!"

"Why not?"

"That's super awkward!"

"Just sneak a peek."

"I said no, Roni."

"Please?"

"Roni."

"Myra. Look."

"Fine, fine!" I threw my hands up in the air and turned around in my wooden seat.

"The blonde in the black skinny jeans."

"Roni you know-"

"Sorry, I forgot."

I roll my eyes and just stare at the line of customers.

"He's the last one in line," Roni says.

The 'gorgeous' boy that Roni has been drooling over for the past four months wasn't as beautiful as I pictured in my head. Yes, he was good looking with his dark clothes, but probably not my type. He also looked familiar. He licked his lips while staring down at his phone and a dimple popped out. Cute. I turn back around to face Roni.

"So..." I knew she wanted to give me my opinion, since she stared at me so curiously.

"Cute, I guess," I shrug my shoulders.

"Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, no matter how stupid," Roni huffs at me, then checks her watch. "I need to clock in in about five minutes."

"I'll just walk home now, then," I take my sweater off the back of my chair and pull it around my body. I try to turn my back to Roni to walk out, but she continues talking to me.

"Will you be back tomorrow?" She asks, clipping the name tag back onto her shirt.

"Yeah, I'll probably stop by," I walk backwards still talking to her, turn abruptly, and crash into another body. With my luck, of course it's that guy Roni's trying to get me with. He was a lot taller than he seemed.

"I'm sorry!" I quickly say, putting my hands between our bodies and stepping backwards a few feet.

"It was my fault," He softly smiles, "I wasn't paying attention."

It was then I noticed that his phone had slipped out of his hand, and when he bent down to pick it up, the screen was completely shattered.

"Oh gosh," I mentally give myself a facepalm, "I'll pay for that."

"No need," He shoves the device in his pocket, "I was looking into upgrading to a newer model anyway."

I stare at him in slight awe. How could he be so nice when I just murdered his phone?

He purses his lips while staring at my face, studying at me. With his expression, I'm pretty sure there's a lightbulb over his head.

"Do you go to the Taylorton?" He asks. Taylorton was the community college I just started attending. I had only started this past week for the new semester, since my the other college I went to briefly was terrible.

"Yes, I just started going there. Why?"

"You're Myra," He snaps his long fingers, "We're in the same Calculus class. I sit in the back."

This is where I saw this boy's face at. Everytime I walk out of Calculus to go to Language Arts, he's always walking back to the dorms. I also saw him after my lunch break. We cross paths while I head to Biology, too.

"Yeah," I say in a breathy tone. The cashier calls him to the register and he excuses himself to order. I awkwardly shuffle to Roni, who was looking at us with an amused expression the entire time. We stay quiet until after he walks out the glass doors of the coffee shop and leaves with his drink.

"That went better then I expected," Roni joked with me as I stared out the glass windows. "Although, shattering his phone wasn't part of my plan."

"Don't even bother teasing me," I groan at her. "That was extremely embarrassing. I never want to see him again."

"I won't," Roni places her hands on my shoulders from behind me and gives them a gentle shake. She also leans forward and says in my ear: "His name is Luke, by the way. And, you're in luck, since he comes here every day at three."