Five

Am I the only one who could watch Luke and Michael talk all day...?

---------------

Something was off with my two friends.

Roni constantly threw off a horrible mood like radiation, snarling and growling and snapping at me and at the littlest things.

A few days ago, she got so God-awful mad when a new barista mixed up her coffee order that she threw a tantrum as if she was three-years old. Her co-workers were whispering behind the counter. No body was staring at her, they were staring at me, as if I was suppose to stop my twenty-three year old friend from bawling and screaming.

I knew that I was blushing badly when it happened — It's a trait I wish I didn't have — so I covered my face and hushed Roni, taking her into our corner of the coffee shop.

"What is wrong with you?" I hiss at her in a low voice. I eye the flustered barista as she remakes Roni's iced mocha with two ice cubes, double shot with skim milk, caramal and lots of whipped cream. "You're embarrassing not only yourself, but you're embarrassing me."

"Well, I'm sorry I'm such an embarrassment," She huffs back, crossing her arms.

"You should be sorry," I spat harshly, "You've been acting weird since the party two weeks ago. In two weeks, you haven't told me what's wrong. Not one detail, the only hints you're dropping is the attitude! And you know I rarely cuss, or yell, or anything, but I just can't take this Hell anymore." I shake my head at my best friend, "You know what, call me when you're ready to open up to me."

It was then I walked out and didn't regret a word I had said. It was the truth, and the truth shouldn't wait.

Luke was a much less stressful cause. I started talking to him more after I realized Roni's attitude wasn't going away. He listened to me, just in a more pleading way.

Luke would sit across the table from me in Calculus until the professor screamed at him to go to his seat and just let me rant. He propped his elbows on the table and held his head up with his hands. Sometimes Luke would sigh or mumble something and start playing with a few rings on his fingers. Then, he'd give me an apologetic look and say along the lines of "I'm sorry," or "Hopefully the truth will come around soon." After that, Luke wouldn't pay attention to me. He got lost in thought while staring at my face.

A few days after the whole coffee shop incident with Roni, Luke called an emergency 'friend meeting' at the shop.

I didn't bother traveling with Roni, I knew Luke just wanted us to apologize to each other.

But when I push through the glass doors of the shop, Roni sobs into my shoulder and hugs me, smoothing my hair. I just embrace her back, knowing that it was the least I could do for a friend.

"I thought you would've made up over a coffee, not a tackle from Roni," Luke chuckles as both of us stride to the table we usually met at together. "Are you guys all ready to listen to my story, yet?"

"I have something to say," Roni tells him, "Something life changing."

"Mine is also life changing," He says with a mused tone, "I really want to go first, can I go first?"

"Fine," My friend slightly huffs, "But I'm pretty sure mine is more important."

"I highly doubt it," Luke glares at her, the first jokingly-hostile thing I've ever seen him do, "Myra, you know that I wanted to drop out after Christmas break, right?"