Nine

Myra's POV

Even though I hadn't seen Luke in a two and a half months, it felt like years. His hair, for starters, was shaved, making his wavy locks disappear into stick-straight stubs. His hugs seemed more secure, as if he had more muscle, and he almost seemed happier.

His sarcastic attitude didn't change one bit.

Since Roni was extremely moody, stressed, and anxious all the time, Luke said that for dealing with Roni that if her baby was a girl, she had to make her middle name Lucy, and if it was a boy she had to make his middle name Luke or Lucas.

Roni didn't find this entertaining one bit.

As we laughed together in our praised coffee shop, it seemed almost as if life was good, but it wasn't. Luke only had a week until he officially left to a military base in Nevada, all the way across the country. We didn't speak of it, the reminder made us even more cautious of our goodbyes because for all we know, we may never see Luke in person again.

"Oh, at least this baby will have one Hell of an uncle," Roni comments sarcastically after Luke had whispered to her stomach 'Your mom is a stick in the mud.'

"I'll be right back," She excuses herself, getting up from our usual table and making her way towards the restroom.

"Myra?" Luke asks after Roni is out of earshot. The way he said it made him sound uneasy and unconfident, an odd thing coming from Luke.

"Yes, Luke?" I swirled the spoon in the tea a little more, hoping to catch the sweet honey on the bottom.

"I was wondering if you, uh, wanted to go out with me tonight?" He flicked a large crumb of the banana nut muffin he had ordered off the table and onto the floor and didn't make eye contact until the last second of his sentence.

"Well, if Roni is up for — "

"I mean just us two," Luke quickly cuts me off. I stare at him for a short amount of time, hoping he'd say something funny or sarcastic to clear the air, but he just sat there nervously.

"Like a date?" I question, pushing a smile to my lips. I'm glad when Luke does the same.

"I was hoping it would be a date, but if you don't want it to be a date..." He didn't finish his sentence, two people had spilled their drinks, on each other in fact, and were frantically apologizing. Everyone in the café stares at them as they watch the scene unfold, and you could tell that the couple was extremely embarassed about it. Light chatter started amongst the tables, most likely about the incident that just happened.

"Imagine if you had spilled tea on me the day we met instead of you breaking my phone," Luke comments aloud.

"I would've been so mad, I love the tea they have here," I laugh.

"I wasn't mad at you for breaking my phone," A playful twinkle shone in his eyes, "In fact, I was way more than understanding over the situation. It makes up for the fact that now you're stuck with me."

"Ha, but I guess you're pretty cool, Luke."

"Am I cool?" He wiggles his eyebrows at me.

"So cool," We laugh as Roni returns to the table.

"What did I miss?" She questions at the employees and the girl and guy with stains on their shirt talk with themselves.

"A perfect, fateful accident," Luke comments, and honestly, I didn't think there was more perfect than what he said.

"Yes," I say firmly, staring at Luke. And I think he caught on to what I was agreeing to, because he smiled widely.

----------