Chapter 1: Barry

Chapter 1

Tyler carefully surveyed the rows of flowers before him.  His intention was to get a bouquet for Jenna, because tomorrow was her birthday.

"Can I help you?" A smooth voice chimed in. Tyler turned his head to see the most beautifully breathtaking blue-eyed bumble bee he'd ever laid eyes on. His heart skipped, and he hesitated before answering.

"Oh, I'm just looking for some flowers for someone," He replied awkwardly, gazing down at the bee's name tag. Barry.

Barry flashed a white smile. Even his teeth were perfect. "Hey, aren't you that guy in that pilots band? Tyler, right?"

He knows my name! Tyler thought, melting. He snapped back to attention and inwardly scolded himself for thinking such things. "Uh, yeah."

"Oh, man, that's cool! My friend Adam is a pretty big fan," Barry mentioned. "I'm Barry. They hired me here to pollinate the flowers."

Tyler imagined Barry sexily pollinating some flowers and he blushed uncontrollably. Unsure of what to say, he just gave a terse nod and turned back toward the flowers, but his mind was on the hot insect inches away from him.

"Well, I'll leave you to look," Barry said from behind him, and Tyler felt his presence disappear.  It almost saddened him.  He forced himself to think about Jenna again, his true love.

He came to register with a bouquet exploding with all of Jenna's favorite colors. Coincidentally, Barry was working the register. Curiosity creeped into Tyler's mind. Had Barry worked the register just now because he knew Tyler would be paying soon? He couldn't control the grin that tugged at his lips.

After the flowers were bought, Barry spoke. "Hey, I hope it's not too much to ask, but do you think I could have your number? You seem pretty cool, I'd love to hang out sometime." He sounded strangely nervous asking, and a light pink blush had found its way on to his cheeks.

"O-of course," Tyler said, heart thumping. His hands shook as he scrawled his cellphone number on to the back of the receipt. What was this feeling? Tyler had never really thought too much of it, but could he be...beeterosexual? No. It must have been Barry's crystal-blue-summer-sky orbs that pulled him in. They were friends. Right?