Chapter 6: Warmth

After their departure, Gail led Minato towards the colossal building of Kisaragi High. Ever so furtively did she guide him. Finally reaching Miss Aleman's wooden door, Gail hesitantly knocked. Once settled in, Miss Aleman nearly gave Gail a fright but made no impression on Minato.

    She lifted her head to meet the tall young man. Adjusting her glasses, Miss Aleman gleamed with joy as she grabbed his hands shaking them up and down.

    "Well done, young man. Never had I seen anyone not react to my greetings."

    "You call that a greeting?" Gail said mostly to herself, still clutching her chest to ease the wild drumming of her heart.

    "Nice to finally meet you, Mr.—" she paused, trying to recall some important info, "—Minato! Minato Toshi!"

    He nodded, effortlessly. "Mm."

    Miss Aleman sat Minato down and inspected him closer. "You are fairly young...and tall, young man. Tell me, what do you remember? Besides this beautiful lady discovering you behind the gym." She gestured to Gail.

    Instantly, her face began to boil. "W-w-w-w-wha—" Gail's lips parted for words but was silenced by the annoyance she felt as Minato's gaze trailed towards her.

    He let out a voice, which sounded like a hum, and finally spoke. "Nothing."

    Miss Aleman blinked. "Nothing at all?"

    Minato hummed once again before responding. "Nothing."

    The older woman adjusted her glasses just above the bridge of her nose and took hold of a beige folder in which she abruptly opened. "Let's see." She ran an index finger down the page and paused. "Your name is Minato Toshi, correct?"

    He nodded nonchalantly.

    "Age: 17?"

    Another nod.

    "Any relatives?"

    His head tilted to the side in confusion.

    Miss Aleman's lips parted as her head slowly bobbed up and down. "I guess that's a 'no.'" She continued. "I guess there is no point in asking you these questions. It appears I may need to fill in these blanks myself." She sighed heavily.

    For some reason, Abigail fiddled with her fingers at the disappointed tone of the principal. It made her somewhat nervous; she does not know why.

    Miss Aleman brought a hand near her face to chew on a perfectly manicured nail. She began to read a line from the documents of false information she recently forged.

    As words left her lips, Gail's mind paid no attention to her made up story of an abandoned child. Instead, she fingered and twirled the antique locket resting on her chest with a warm sensation suddenly filling her. It felt strange at first but when her gaze trailed to Minato seated beside her, a wave of nostalgia washed over her. The locket became warmer by the second. The time seemed to go by fast because Miss Aleman was calling her name.

    Snapping out of her reverie, Gail immediately locked gazes with the higher up; the locket losing its warmth. "Y—yes."

    Miss Aleman's grey eyes flickered. "I said I was done interrogating him. I would like you to know that he will be attending this school starting next week. Monday or Tuesday should be fine. Which would you prefer?"

    Gail blinked. "That fast?"

    "Yes, deary. All I needed was a quick run of questions, that is all. Just the basic. And plus—", she gestured to Minato who quietly fiddled with his long hair secured into a ponytail, "—I just wanted to see how this fellow would be like. He definitely is a dream child of mine." She gave Gail a huge grin that nearly stretched to her ears.

    Gail's eyes widened. "I...I see."

    "Well," she released her breath, "I'm satisfied with today's meeting." She turned to Minato with a smile. "I hope we get along, son."

    Minato nodded in respond.

    "Lookie here." She brought a finger in front of him and shook it. "Try calling me mom. M-O-M," she enunciated.

    He lifted his head; a hint of interest sparked in his eyes. "M...Mom?"

    Miss Aleman's eyes brimmed with excitement. She balled her fists and drummed them in the air, repeatedly. "Yes! Yes! Say it like you mean it!!"

    "Mom." Flowers and diamonds seemed to explode from him as Miss Aleman's shining excitement complimented the atmosphere which stretched towards Abigail.

    Gail squinted to avoid the awkward mood, she portrayed. Furrowing her brows, slowly she backed away. She sighed at the two individuals lost in their own world of playing house.

**

    That night, Minato slipped into Gail's bed in which she did not mind by now. Being with him for approximately two weeks has led to Gail forcibly adapting to his unusual behavior. His routines became a pain added to her schedule. He tends to wake up the time before Gail heads to school, he will not bathe without her, and he will only do what he is told. The way he talks, sleeps, and eats are normal but what she does not understand is why most of his knowledge has been erased.

    What is his story before he came here?

    The old image of two figures suddenly reappeared. A few seconds suddenly became longer. The two figures, girl and boy, held each other's hands and swayed to the rhythm of a silent tune. Slowly, it blurred away from her sight revealing two blue identical irises. Minato stared, mirroring the same expression Gail held.

    She blinked.

    "Did you see that?" She whispered to him; partially to herself.

    His eyes slowly trailed down to her neck as if distracted. Following his gaze, her eyes landed on her antique locket tucked perfectly between the area where their arms were to touch. He reached for the locket and secured it into his huge hands. A wave of unknown feelings displayed itself on his face that Gail could not comprehend. As if the locket itself served as a comfort, his eyelids slowly dropped and soon he was fast asleep. Gail could only watch in wonder and confusion.

    Her eyes trailed to her locket which was secured in his hands. Slowly, she peeled his fingers one by one. Just when her skin touched the surface of the old locket, a wave of warmness filled her, similar to the one earlier. It gave off a nostalgic vibe she wished could last longer. Gail clasped the locket in her hands, along with Minato's, in order to savor the feeling the locket gave. Within seconds she drifted to sleep.

    Just what is this locket...to me...to him?