Chapter 26

|26|

•Charlotte•

Loud knocking filled the room and I groaned, opening my eyes.

The room was dark. Not a single streak of light peeked in through the curtains as I sat up. 

The knocking continued, more urgent. Lizzie stirred besides me, muttering how much her head was hurting as I quickly got out of the bed, stumbling on the ground. 

"Charlotte."

It was Mr Walter. 

I walked towards the door and opened it, not thinking twice about how I looked. He let out a sigh of relief as I switched on the lights. I didn't care that I was in a shirt alone. 

There was something wrong. 

"Mary, your emergency contact has been trying to call you. It's your dad." 

The world stopped moving around me as I felt the chills run up my back with those words. He started talking, but I couldn't hear him as I asked. "What's wrong with him?" 

I waited for the worst news ever to hit me, to rip apart my heart as he answered me. "She said she has been trying to call you, but couldn't get through. Your dad has left. They can't seem to find him and she thinks it's best if you return home. I have Mr Collins working on your ticket back home."

"I'm going back with her." Lizzie said behind me. 

"Lizzie, I can't-"

"Sir, she needs me with her." Lizzie said and Mr Walter sighed but nodded. 

"If you girls could get ready in the next hour-" 

"I'm ready. I want to go home now." I told him and he nodded as he walked away. I heard Lizzie quickly packing her suitcases. 

"Wear this." She threw a pair of jeans and a shirt to me. I closed the door. 

"Lizzie, he is gone." I whispered at her. She stopped packing and walked towards me, frown lines on her face. She was fighting her first hangover ever, yet she was willing to come with me in an instant. 

I couldn't move as she stood in front of me. "Get changed now. The quicker you're changed, the faster we can leave. I'll text Calvin so he can bring the rest of our things but let's get home now so we can look for him." She said to me and I nodded slowly, as fear crawled inside of me. "Where is your phone?" 

I looked around the room, shrugging my shoulders. "I don't know." 

That was my first mistake. I never forgot where my phone was. 

She nodded and picked up the clothes from the floor and handed them to me. "Get changed." She said and walked back to the suitcases quickly backing them up. 

I got changed into the clothes quickly and pulled my hair up into a ponytail as she got changed into a grey tracksuit. We washed our faces and brushed our teeth as quickly as we could. Lizzie grabbed both of the suitcases and walked towards me, handing me my passport. 

"Calvin can bring the rest. Come on." She grabbed my hand and placed it on my suitcase before opening the door. I wore my shoes quickly and followed her out of the room, the light blinding us a little but it didn't bother us as we stood in the elevator, waiting for the buttons to close.