Chapter Twenty: Will Last Forever

Celestia ran most of the way to the throne room. No doubt Luna was waiting for her there. She entered slowly, taking careful steps towards the two thrones at the end of the hall.

"Not... another... step!" Luna emerged from behind her throne. She looked...different. Celestia thought it might be guilt or triumph. Or maybe sadness. But it was none of those.

It was fear.

Because no matter what the Nightmare did to Luna's mind, a part of the kind, protective Luna would always be there. And that Luna was currently afraid. Afraid of what she could do...and of what Celestia could do to her.
But right now, that Luna wasn't showimg. "Did you really expect me to sit idly by while they all basked in your precious light? There can only be one princess in Equestria! And that princess... will be me!" Luna stomped on the dais where she stood, lighting her horn with magic at the same time. The combined forces blew a hole in the wall, exposing the sun that Celestia had moved out from under the moon. Luna moved the moon over the sun in its current position, eclipsing it once again. The distorted beams from the eclipse fell on Luna, reaching out for her....

And the transformation began.

An orb of magic surrounded Luna. The reality if the situation hit Luna full force. I have eclipsed the sun! I am now giving myself to the monster that was inside me.... Sharp teeth, armored body, catlike eyes....

The Nightmare Moon had risen.

Nightmare Moon laughed evilly at the look in her sister's face. Celestia stood strong, more on edge than before. She spoke in a regal voice. "Luna, I will not fight you! You must lower the moon! It is your duty!"
Nightmare Moon just laughed. "Luna? I am Nightmare Moon! I have but one royal duty now: to destroy you!" Sending a blast of powerful magic, Nightmare Moon commenced the battle. Flying, dodging, blasting, twirling through the air, the sisters battled. Celestia was still hopeful that she could defeat Nightmare Moon without injuring Luna. But Nightmare Moon had no such reservations about Celestia. Powering up her horn again, she shouted "And where do you think you're going?"
The blast contacted with Celestia, sending her screaming, hurtling towards the marble floor of the throne room. Her limp wings made little resistance against the rushing air. Celestia landed on the floor in a heap of white and colored mane. Nightmare Moon laughed above. Lifting her head from the ground, Celestia looked up.

No. I cannot desert them. I cannot leave them to a life in darkness.

Dragging her broken form from the ground, Celestia gazed up at Nightmare Moon, who was flying circles above. "Oh, dear sister. I am sorry! But you have given me no choice but to use....these. " Sending a beam of magic towards a symbol on the ground. The Elements of Harmony rose from hiding, where they had been placed after Discord's defeat. Gently levitating the Elements, Celestia flew swiftly towards Nightmare Moon. All the while her mind repeated the cry that helped her raise the sun every morning: For Equestria! The Elements revolved around her, and combined with Celestia's magic, sent a rainbow beam towards Nightmare Moon, swallowing her in its light. Nightmare Moon's scream split the air. That scream would haunt Celestia for a long time. Because at the end of the scream of Nightmare Moon, Luna's voice could be heard, screaming with her.
-----------------------------
Spinning...
Spinning....
Spinning....
Through the blur of rainbow light came glimpses of black. Luna spun through space, her body stuck halfway between Nightmare Moon and Princess of the Night. At last Luna landed. Hard. The light cleared. Luna looked around. The great expanse of a black sky surrounded her, split only by a grey, barren landscape. This place was familiar. Luna looked down at the dust beneath her hooves. Then she stopped. Those weren't her hooves. At least...they hadn't been. Not for centuries. I am... younger? Why? Luna stood up and turned. What she saw broke her heart.

There was the planet, stretching in blues and greens, pinks and purples.

She wasn't on that planet.
She was on the moon.
Her moon.

The Elements had granted her wish. Up here, night would last forever.