Dear Jace: The Tip of a Pen

Dear Jace,

I wonder, what's it like up there in Afghanistan? Is it scorching hot, or freezing cold? More sand, or more water? I wish you'd call and tell me how you're doing, or maybe send a letter or two because just one little response from you will be amazing.

I know that you're busy, but the more days that are crossed off the calendar, the more days I question when you will write. Everyday, I check my mailbox the minute the mail is delivered - to see if there is a letter from you. But every time, there is nothing, other than the usual bills and solicitations that leave me left with the feeling of disappointment aching in my heart.

I'm aware that this is silly, writing in this little leather book, filling it with letters that may never be mailed to you, but I find it quite comforting to be honest. But I'm not writing with the pen, the pen is writing with me. The minute the tip of my pen touches the delicate paper, it moves and flows rapidly, all of my thoughts and feelings drafted in this little book. It helps with everything, having all my thoughts and worries processed into this little journal of mine. Instead of keeping these feelings locked inside of me, like I'm some kind of safe, I can freely write and express myself. And I hope that one day when you return to me, that I may give you this little leather book, at that you may read it with not only joy, but love.

Never give up,

Clarise