Chapter 5

(Still Nate's P.O.V.)

I threw my phone against the wall, killing the mosquito that decided to enter my room through the window. Wrong decision buddy, I thought as I looked at its body, squashed in a uncomfortable position on the wall. I could see the body split as the wings twitched quickly before it was finally motionless.

Disgusted, I grabbed a paper towel and grabbed the bug off, which left a light brown stain.

Gross.

I knew I sounded like a girl right now but I absolutely loath bugs. Especially mosquitos. All they do is bring disease and misfortune to the world.

As I went back to lay down on my bed, I heard a knock on my door and could hear my mother's soft, mellow voice, "Nathaniel? Nathaniel? Is everything all right? I heard something bang against the wall."

My mom never got used to calling me Nate. She ALWAYS called me Nathaniel, which I hated with a passion. I mean it's not like I'm some 30-year-old man in the 1800's or something...why out of all names, did she name me Nathaniel?

"Everything is fine, Mom," I said, "just had to kill a bug."

"Oh, all right," she said through the door, "but can I come in, dear? I need to talk to you about something."

Oh great, it's probably gonna be about the divorce.

"Yeah, sure." I said, trying to keep an innocent, I-don't-know-anything tone.

My mother stepped in. Everyone said that I looked like my mom; we had identical hazel, brown eyes along with wavy chocolate colored hair. We were both tall, with long legs and arms.

I was always closer to my mom. We would always do puzzles together when I was little and she would always help me with my homework. My dad? I hated him. I hated him passionately. He never gave me a compliment, not even once. Always saying that I needed to do better, that I couldn't stop until I was the best. He never gave me any sense of encouragement. 

My thoughts were interrupted when my mom said, "Nathaniel, your father and I-"

Annie rushed into my room crying, "NO! NO! Don't divorce, Mommy! Please don't divorce, Dad! Please!"

My mom looked surprised, "Annie, honey, how-how did you know?"

Annie pursed her lips and after wiping away a tear said, "I heard you and Grandma talking on the phone earlier and caught you saying that you were going to divorce him."

Crouching down, my mom looked into Annie's tearful eyes and said, "Sweetheart, I know it's going to be hard on you and your brother but it's the best thing for both me and your father."

I didn't look up once. Keeping my eyes down on the floor I said in a casual tone, "It's actually a good thing you know, Ann. He's never been there for us anyway," I looked up at my mother, "so who's moving out anyway?"