Chapter 10

It seems that today is update day! Thank you all, fans of FVP for reading and voting for this story. I know it's been a long long time since I've updated, but I promise I'll start updating sooner now! 

I've been quite busy with a lot of work in my hands for the past year, and I apologize for leaving you guys with such a cliffhanger and not responding to any of the comments. I've read every single one and thank you all for such kind words. (: 

And now, without further ado--Chapter 10 of The Flirt V. The Player!

______________________________________

(Recap) Mia's P.O.V.

I felt Nate's eyes on me. I saw him out of the corner of my eye and found him looking at me dreamily.

I gripped the steering wheel in order to calm my nerves. I could see his attractive face and was tempted to just gaze at him instead of the road.

For this moment I let myself confess my true feelings for him. I knew that I had been lying to myself all this time.

I knew I was falling in love again.

Mia’s P.O.V. (cont.)

There wasn’t any traffic today, so we got to the mall in a good 10 minutes. Thank god too, the car ride was awkward.

I caught Nate stealing short glances at me once in a while and silently prayed that he didn’t hear the pounding of my heart. I knew I was falling for him—falling for real. Just like I did with Carter.

Ugh, why am I always thinking about Carter lately?

“Uh, Mia, are you ok? You look upset.” Said Nate slowly.

“No, no, I’m fine. Perfectly fine.” I said, a little too quickly. He noticed something was wrong, but seemed to know I didn’t want to talk about it.

“So where do you want to go?” he asked, changing the subject.

“Well, I need to get a new bathing suit.” I said without thinking.

God, did I just say that? Great, I just established that I’m from slut-topia.

Nate looked rather surprised and said, “Um, I mean I don’t mind, but do you feel uncomfortable shopping for basically underwater bra and underwear with me?”

I laughed. Come to think of it, a bikini was basically a bra and a pair of underwear—made of material to be worn in the water.

His face relaxed as he watched me laugh at his humor, and I actually felt comfortable around him. Even though I’m known as the flirt at school, I never actually felt safe and free to talk about anything with any of the guys I’ve dated.

“I’ll come back for the bikini later, let’s just look around for now.” I grabbed his arm and we headed towards the left wing.

“Well hello, Mia. I haven’t seen you in a while.”

I knew that voice anywhere.

It was Carter.

Nate’s P.O.V.

We were about to walk toward the left wing of the mall. Mia had actually grabbed my arm. Little happy dance in my head. Her slender fingers wrapped around my toned forearm (hey, I can be cocky about my well-toned body) when a voice called out from behind us.

That’s when Mia froze. She didn’t even turn around to see who it was. It was like she knew from the voice. I looked at her face; it was contorted with what seemed to be anger and surprise. I placed my hand on hers and we turned around.

The guy standing in front of us stared at Mia with a smirk. He looked familiar for some reason. I couldn’t really pin it down right then, but I felt that I saw him somewhere.

He walked up towards us. “Well, I see you’re getting along fine. Continuously flirting as usual, hmm?” He reached out to touch her face.

“Don’t touch me, Carter.” Said Mia with an icy glare.

“Woah, tiger,” he laughed, “no need to be feisty. I just saw you and wanted to see how you were doing. Still haven’t gotten that first kiss yet?”

Mia hasn’t gotten her first kiss yet either?

As I tried to process this in my mind, Carter turned towards me, “And who are you, her newest boyfriend?”

Before I could answer, he broke out in a chuckle, “Oh, you poor young idiot. You know, Mia isn’t committed. The only guy she’s ever really liked was me. And that’s how it was and that’s how it’ll always be. Knowing her, she’ll never get a another guy, she’s too-

SMACK! Before the jerk could finish talking, Mia slapped him across the face. Her face was seething with anger, “You. Monster. How dare you try to come talk to me again? I told you I never wanted to see you. After what you did to me, you think it’s ok to come lu-lu-la-la up to me and confront me?”

Carter rubbed his red cheek and said, “Mia, darling, you know you want to come back to me. I know you do, you know you do. So why don’t you leave this poor guy who you’re going to ditch anyway and come back to me, baby?”

I could tell she was about to leap. I grabbed her arm and turned to Carter with the most menacing look I could muster, “Leave my girl alone, you piece of trash. I don’t know what you did to her, but she’s never going to forgive you. She’s mine now so get the hell out of here.”

Carter laughed. It wasn’t a normal laugh. It was a crazy laugh, as if he wasn’t in his sane mind, which I assumed that he wasn’t.

“You think she’ll love you? This girl? Mia Hart?” he laughed some more, “let me tell you something about Mia,”

He came up close to me so his face was only inches away from mine, “Mia Hart can never love anyone again.”

Then he sauntered off.

Mia fell to the ground. For the first time, I saw the true nature of this girl. She wasn’t really a flirt at heart. She had always just been trying to forget.

Just like me.

I knelt down and wrapped my arms around her. “It’s okay,” I said softly, “you can cry.”

And that’s what she did.