Tips and Tricks: Grounding and Centering Yourself

Grounding serves two basic purposes.

It stabilizes your energyIt reconnects you with the earth and helps you focus on reality

When you spellcast or practice energy work, you are very likely to end up with either an excess or deficit of personal energy. This is a very uncomfortable state to be in and can include physical symptoms such as insomnia, headaches, nausea, pain, uncomfortable buzzing sensations under your skin, exhaustion, and more.

When you experiment with astral travel, journeying, or dreamwork, you may find yourself in the equally uncomfortable state of not being 100% connected to reality or "present" in this world.

Grounding takes care of both of these issues.

Ideally, you should learn how to ground before you attempt any other energy work or spellwork. Let me assure you that it is totally uncool to start messing with your energy levels without a way to balance out. Grounding is not an optional skill for a witch who wants to stay healthy, safe, and sane.

There are many grounding guides available online. If this technique doesn't work for you, look for other methods.

1 - Grow Roots. Sit quietly outside on some nice soil or grass. Outside is best because it helps you connect to natural energies more, but if you can do it inside, go for it. Like a tree, gently visualize a long and sturdy taproot growing out of your spine and burrowing deep in to the earth.

Gently visualize. No need to hurt yourself.

This process may actually take a little while. Do your best for as long as you can maintain focus, then return the next day and continue.

2 - Configure your roots to move energy. Your root will both bring up and send down energy. If you prefer, have a Y root with one side sending down and one side bringing up. Sitting down, breathe in for 4 counts. As you breathe in, imagine the rich and pure energy of the earth rushing up to replenish your energy. Breathe out for 4 counts, and imagine excess and unwanted energy flowing down to the earth where she can use it for her own purposes.

Meditate on this for some time, training your astral roots, until they work automatically every time you breathe.

3 - Test the system. Several times a day or as often as you remember, check in with your astral roots to see if they are still working. Look in to it in different environments, such as in buildings, cars, or nature. Your roots are permanent unless you dismantle them.

Once you are satisfied the roots are working on their own, attempt some other form of energy work. Watch your roots carefully afterwords and determine if they are dong their job to rebalance you. When acute grounding is needed, breathe in counts of 4 and use extra visualization to move the energy.

4 - Upkeep. Once a week/month, check in with your roots and determine they are free of blockages or other issues. This does happen so don't put upkeep on the back shelf.

Miscellanea: This may be a long process if you are inexperienced in energy work. Don't be frustrated if it takes a week or two - you are probably doing a better job than people who rush it.

If you don't really 'get' visualization, work on feeling or "knowing" the roots are there and working instead of trying to force an image.

((crediting for this information goes to windvexer.tumblr.com ))