Chapter 5

After school we had our first official cheer practice. We started out by learning the cheer to our school song. Most of us that have been going to East Coast High already knew the cheer from seeing it at pep rallies. We practiced the routine for about three hours, and then they let us go for the evening.

                Once cheer practice got over Eva and I headed straight to the mall with one of the other cheer newcomers, Jocelyn. We decided we would probably have the best of luck at Nordstrom’s. We all found really cute pink dress. Jocelyn got short, tight dress and Eva got one a little similar. I got a dress that was short and that had tulle to make it fluffy.

                The party still wasn’t until tomorrow and there was a lot to be done. After school Thursday we all met at Harleigh’s house to decorate. Her parents were out of town for the rest of the week and weekend. Harleigh had bought lots of pink decorations, for that was the theme like always. We made the place pink galore. We put pink sparkle streamers around all the pillars and the stair case. We ordered balloons to be brought in. A DJ was to arrive at seven tomorrow night. We loaded the fridge with drinks and we all chipped in money for snacks. It took us about three hours to decorate the house to perfection.

                I dropped Eva and Jocelyn of at home and went back to my house. Nolan and a few of his friends were playing video games in our living room when I walked in. “Hey, are you guys going to the annual cheer party tomorrow?”

                “Yah, duh! But obviously you won’t be there!” I just walked away in dismay. Little did they know tomorrow they would see me being introduced as a cheerleader. I walked up to my room and laid in bed. I stared up at the ceiling envisioning what the rest of the year would be like. Before I knew it I was away in my dreams.

                It’s Friday! Tonight is the annual cheer party! I jumped in the shower and blow dried my hair. I didn’t bother doing anything to my hair or putting on makeup, I would just redo it for the party tonight anyways. I skipped down to the kitchen and grabbed an apple and went out the door. I stopped at Eva and Jocelyn’s houses to pick them up on my way to school.

                I found myself jittery all day. I sat through classes staring at the clock or tapping my pen on the table. It seemed like the day was dragging on and on.  At lunch Eva and I went to the nail salon to make appointments for right after school and grabbed a bite to eat.

                After school Jocelyn, Eva and I went to the nail salon and got French manicures and of course pedis to go along. We then headed back to my house to finish getting ready. We all helped each other do our hair. We were told to do a basic curl and leave it all down. We applied our makeup and sealed off our look with matching lip gloss. We finished five till seven and walked over to Harleigh’s.

                Harleigh answered the door and the girls were all standing around. “Let’s practice our introduction ceremony before people start to come. People will arrive between 8 and 8:30, we will introduce you guys from 8:30-9, and at nine the party starts. Everybody at the school knows that at this party only the cheerleaders are allowed to wear pink, so guys will be looking for you girls!”

                We lined up on the stairs of her house and practiced our intros. Right at eight, the first doorbell rang. It was party time!