5

Chapter 5

Alex's POV--

My head was pounding and my throat was dry. I felt numb for a few more wonderful seconds until realization hit. Father came home last night and he hurt me. No one helped me even though I know they heard me scream for help. I begged father to stop but that made it worse. I felt everything, all the bruises and the broken wrist.

All the pain washed over me as I tried to open my eyes. The room was to bright and the light was directly in my line of vision. I winced and closed my eyes for a few more seconds. A nurse walked in with a tray of antibiotics and a glass of water.

"Hello sweetie, I'm glad to see you awake. Your brother will be coming to visit you any minute now." Brother? Why would that monster come see me? He was the one who hurt me in the first place before father. I shook my head but the nurse ignored me. That was how my morning went. Nurse after nurse came to check on me. I asked what happened and they said my 'brother' found me in an alley.

I wanted to laugh, as if he would save me if he found me in an alley. He'd probably leave me to die if he could get away with it. So why did he bring me here? Why take me to a hospital and act like he cares when he clearly wants me gone? I don't have the answers but i will find out what his angle is. There is no way he would do this and not expect something in return.

----------

About an hour had gone by since I had eaten lunch and now I was bored. I had nothing to do but sit and watch the T.V and that was boring. All the shows were in Spanish and the nurse said i couldn't leave until my father signed me out. So here i am sitting in the hospital bed with nothing to do when all of the sudden a nurse walks in and smiles at me.

'Your father is here to take you home Alex, isn't that wonderful?" I just nod as she helps me into this pink wheelchair thingy. She has no clue but, she's pushing me to my death with a bright and cheery smile.

I was shocked when there stood, in the lobby, Father, Cruella De Vil and her devil spawn. They all had worried expressions, obviously fake, when I was wheeled into the lobby. The nurse had given me some pants and a shirt around lunch time so I was no longer in the hospital gown.

Father signed me out and I was wheeled to his car. I climbed in the back with Jake and his mother sat in the front seat. I stayed silent the whole ride home. Sadly during my silence Jake decided to talk about how I messed up and how father hates me. I looked him straight in the eyes and smiled.

"I already know that my father hates me. I know he wishes I was never born and I know that I am a waste of space. Thank you for reminding me of what I already know." With that I jumped out of the car and ran up to my room. All I want is silence and sleep.

--------------

Waking up early on Sunday was good. I had a good night's rest for once and I had the house to myself today. Father is missing and Cruella De Vil and her demon child are gone. I'm totally alone in this house so I start to clean. Cleaning clears my mind for a while. That is, until my father walks in through the front door.

I was sitting on the couch when I saw father walk into the living room. I stiffened as he walked towards me. I stared at the floor and waited for him to speak. I heard him clear his throat before he sat down beside me. I scooted away from him, nervous. I was not eager to have his angry fists beat down on me again.

"I'm sorry..." there was an awkward silence. Then I looked at him, he was staring at me, his eyes held pain. "I'm so sorry" he repeated those three words for the next few minutes. I just stared at him shocked. I had a feeling that if I spoke he would turn to me and laugh. Saying that I was foolish to believe he was sorry he almost killed me.

The silence was deafening when he decided to break it. "I want you to know that I never meant to hurt you. You just look so much like your mother and when she left..." his voice broke as he held back a sob. "When she left us I was heartbroken and I took all that anger out on you. I was supposed to protect you and I failed. I hurt you and nothing I say or do will make me forget what I put you through." He had tears running down his face as he laid his heart and soul down on the thin line that was my forgiveness. He was asking for a second chance to be a better father. He was asking for a chance to be my father, the father I barely remember, the father that I had before my mother left us.

I had no idea what to do. I was scared that all this was a dream and I would wake up. That he would hit me then leave me alone in my sorrow. The hope I had left was small and if this turned out to be some sick joke then that would be it. I would have no hope for a better future. I was certain, that if he was lying to me about wanting a second chance I would fall and crumble like the rest of my dreams.

I nodded slowly, showing that I would give him another chance to be the father he should have always been. I looked at him slowly and I saw something I hadn't seen in years. I was a warm smile on his face that reached his eyes. My father was going to get better and with that I would no longer live in fear.

I was being given a second chance as well.