Chapter One

Two years after the end of "Love You Goodbye"

Nic's POV

"Daddy!" I finally saw Addie running toward me. At the age of six she's still the little daddy's girl she's always been.

I picked her up and squeezed her. "Hey, princess. How was your weekend?"

"It was awesome! We got a new Christmas tree and Benny and me decorated it!" She went on to tell me about the ornaments she made.

I looked up and Elise was walking toward us, Benny running next to her trying to keep up. I set Addie down and welcomed the little boy into my arms too.

"Hey Benny."

"Ucle Nix."

I chuckled. "You sure have grown up since I saw you last."

"Big boy!"

"Yes you are!" I set him down and he and Addie ran to the playground.

El joined me at my side and I draped an arm over her shoulders as we walked to a bench. We sat in silence, watching the kids play for a bit, just as we did every Friday evening and every Sunday afternoon.

We didn't start out this way. Two years ago when Elise and Sam returned to Kinnegad with their son Benny, I wouldn't let her see Addison. Sam tried to discuss it with me and I was quick to shoot him down.

Until one day when my mum took Addie to the park and there Elise was with Benny. Addie immediately ran to Elise and I couldn't say no after that. She was too attached to her mother. Elise and I didn't talk all that much, even though we're back to being friends. Ed claims we're only friends because of Addie and I hate that he's probably right.

But today, we had a serious conversation to begin discussing.

"The company is moving me to Dublin." I said quietly.

"Wh-what?" She seemed surprised.

"You shouldn't be so surprised, El. They wanted me to move three years ago."

"But I wasn't around then."

"I know, but I told you shortly after you came back that it'd be a possibility."

"I assumed that since you hadn't mentioned it, it wouldn't happen."

"I'm shocked Sam didn't tell you."

"Wh- oh. Well shit, me too." She chuckled. "What are we gonna do now?"

I shook my head, "No clue. How long is the drive from your place to Dublin?"

"Um, about an hour."

"Okay, well we can meet halfway. What's between there?"

"Uh, the bridge and Kilcock."

"Well we could meet in either of those places I suppose."

El sighed, "Do you think he was ever going to tell me?"

I shrugged, "I don't know, El. He's been pretty quiet during work meetings. He's letting Luke take the lead a lot. Is everything okay at home?"

She nodded, "Yeah! I mean, we have little quarrels, but nothing huge. He's been around more, helping teach Benny different things, and he took Addie to the museum last weekend. This is the most Sam has been involved with both kids since he moved back full-time."

"How about Addie stays with you when I move everything to Dublin and after I'm settled I'll come back and get her?"

"Okay, that sounds alright. When is the day?"