Chapter Sixteen

Josie's POV

Two hours later.

Nic was asleep with his head on my chest. I sat up in his bed wearing just a t-shirt and continued read the script.

Growing up in Mullingar, I let myself be in control. After my parents separated, I spent a lot of time in between homes but I soon put my foot down and decided I wanted to stay with my mum; with Elise. She was gone a lot after we turned twelve, but many times, I went with her. There was a short four months, where Elise told me that she reciprocated the same feeling that I had for her...

I continued to read on as Nic explained the fighting and kisses and the moments that he shared with Elise. It pained my heart to know that she had lied her way through to his heart and made him trust her. But it also made me question how deep his love for her was. He had been willing to overlook that when she came to him and asked him to make love to her years later. He spent that entire night in the tree house in his backyard, pretending that they were in love; that she was in love with him. Elise took advantage of his heart and he let her.

I found myself wiping away tears as he talked about the day Elise told him she was pregnant and how willing she was to give up her baby. He loved her so much and believed she would change her mind and stay with him to raise the baby together. Even though she denied the baby was his, Nic protected Elise and looked after the baby like he knew it was his. He spoke of the feelings he felt when his mother told him that Addie was his. He put in the promise he made to Addie the first night he had her home with him.

At a quarter to five in the morning, Nic's first alarm went off but he slept right through it, not moving even an inch.

I decided I would let him sleep, and I texted Luke.'

Hey Luke, it's Josie. Does Nic have any days he can take off?'

The response came a few minutes later.

'Yes, he has seven days. Why? Is he okay?'

I replied without pushing my boundaries.

'He had a rough night and didn't budge when his alarm went off. I think he needs it.'

I prayed Luke would let him.

'Sure thing. He's all set. Thank you for looking out for him, Josie. Let me know if he or you need anything.'

'Thanks, Luke. Will do.'

I put his phone down along with the script. I cuddled under the covers with Nic's head still on my chest.

A half hour later, a second alarm went off and Nic rolled over, but continued sleeping. I read the title: Get Addie up.

I slid out from under the covers and put on a pair of Nic's sweats before walking down the hall to Addie's room.

"Addie, babe?" I said as I stepped into the room.

"Hi, Josie." She was seated on her bed pulling a brush through her long hair.

"How did you sleep?"

The little girl smiled. "I slept good! Did you, Josie?"

I nodded, "Yeah, it was okay."

"That's good." She sighed. "Did my daddy come home?"

"Yes. He's still sleeping. He isn't feeling well."

Her face turned a bit serious as she looked up at me, "Is he okay? Does he need his medicine?"

I shook my head, "No, babe. He's just very tired and needs to sleep."