Chapter Six

Nic's POV

I held Addie's hand as a nurse came and checked her out. She woke up in the middle of it and immediately clung to my arm.

"Daddy." She mumbled.

The nurse fiddled with the IV, connecting it to a small tube. I held back tears. I hated watching this, even when they did it to me.

"I'm right here princess. It's okay."

She whimpered and watched the insulin drip into her arm. "What is that?"

"It's to help you, Ads. They give it to daddy too."

"Why does it hurt?"

I got up and sat on the bed next to her, "It doesn't hurt, baby." Addie leaned into my side.

Suddenly the door opened and Elise and Sam walked through the door, Ed slightly behind them.

I looked at Addie's mother, "Where have you been?"

She pointed to Sam, who held Benny. "Sorry mate."

"I'm not the one you should apologize to, Hughes."

"Nic!" Elise scolded.

"What? I heard what he said to you."

"That's not the point. We're fine now."

I huffed.

"Daddy." Addie whimpered again.

El rushed over. "What's going on?"

"We're giving her another dose of insulin, Mrs. Hughes." The nurse replied.

"Why is she in pain?"

"Addison isn't used to this yet." I answered for the nurse. "It'll take a few visits."

"A few visits? Nic? How often do you come here?"

"Every six months, El."

Her face showed her confusion, "EVERY six months?"

I nodded. "Yep. I've only missed one."

"Wh- When?"

"When you were pregnant with Addie. Actually, it was the weekend you went into labor."

"I-I. What?"

"I wanted you to come here so that I would be able to make it to my appointment. But since we went to Central, I never made it."

Elise shook her head as she leaned down and kissed Addie's head. "Did anything happen?"

I nodded, "Yeah." I whispered. "About four months later I collapsed and had to be rushed back here."

El was silent. Ed and Sam stood by the door in silence. The nurse left and Addie drifted to sleep.

"Nic." Elise sighed. "Why don't you go get some rest? Sam is taking Benny back home but Ed said he would stay with me."

I shook my head, "I'm not leaving her. I know what it feels like to be in this situation and it's scary sometimes. She's six, younger than I was. I'm not leaving."

"Nic." Ed pushed, "I'll be here as well. We won't leave her. But you look exhausted."

"I am."

"When was the last time you ate, James?"

We all turned our heads towards the door. My doctor, Dr. Jackson, stood there holding a granola bar.

"Jesus, Dr. Jackson." I groaned.

"Answer the question."

All eyes looked to me.

"Last night. Dinner. Two burgers and a small fry from McDonald's." I grumbled.