Chapter Ten

Nic's POV

"Oi, oi!" Cade announced my arrival. "What up mate?"
"Not too much, Tommo." I ran down the steps and joined him and Luke at the bar. "How are things coming for tonight?"
"Fine, although Luke will say it's a disaster."
Luke looked up at Cade and rolled his eyes. "It's not a disaster, I just can't seem to get ahold of Hughes and every one will begin arriving shortly."
"Calm yourself, mate." I patted his shoulder. "Everything will be fine and Sam will show."
"You are so positive today, Nic. What the hell happened to you last night?" He grumbled.
"I met up with a girl I know from a few years back."
"Yeah?" Cade questioned. "And?"
"And what?"
"Did you get laid or what?"
"Actually, I didn't, but no worries, just seeing her and spending time with her last night and today is enough for me."
Cade and Luke looked at each other. "Wow, mate." Luke chimed, "She must be a keeper."
"Oh, she is."
"What about Addie? How do you think she'll react to another gal taking away her daddy's attention?" Cade questioned.
I shrugged, "Haven't really thought about it, but I'll figure it out when I get to that point."
"Oooh, we should continue this later, but for now, I would take care of that." Luke pointed behind me.
As I turned, I could sense who it was. "What is it this time, El?"
"Uh, well, let's see. Your daughter called ME last night wondering where YOU were. And sure enough, I called you and you didn't answer." Her face was bright red, but she looked great in her gown.
"My phone died. I'm sorry. I went out with the lads."
"Yeah? Is that it? Are you going to lie to me? Or should I just show you?"
I raised an eyebrow, "What do you mean 'show me'?"
She handed me her phone. When I looked at the screen I mentally slapped myself.
"Shit."
"Yeah! Shit is right, Nic! Did you forget who the mother of your child is? Did you forget that people follow you as much as they follow me?"
"Honestly, El? Yes! I forgot! But did you forget that you were the reason that my relationship with her four years ago ended because you couldn't keep your mouth shut?!"
"Whoa!" Sam came up beside El. "You guys, let's not do this here."
"Buzz off, Hughes." I hissed.
"Nic. Come on, mate." Cade pulled me back from El. I knew the good side to El wouldn't last long.
"Fuck off my personal life, El. You're just going to ruin it again. And yes, I'll call Addie tonight."
Elise flipped me off and I returned the gesture.
When Cade finally let go of me, Luke handed me a beer. "Chill yourself, mate. She isn't worth it."
"She has some nerve, lads. I can't understand why I thought she was a good idea."
Cade laughed, "I won't remind you then."
"Yeah, please don't."

The party was in full swing. Everyone showed up and Luke, Cade, Sam and I made our rounds to speak with every employee.
"Wow, Luke should throw parties more often." I heard a voice say from behind me.
I smiled and turned, pulling the girl close to me. "Hmm, yes he should." I looked her up and down. "My girl looks gorgeous!" I leaned down and kissed her. "Hmm. Are you wearing heels?"
Josie nodded, "Yep. Borrowed them from Lexie."
"Hmm, you should keep them." I whispered in her ear.
She giggled, "How many drinks have you had?"
I looked at the beer in my hand and thought about it. "I stopped counting at six."
She rolled her eyes. "You're going to regret that later."
I shook my head and kissed her again. "Not possible."
"Wow, Nic, please calm yourself." She removed my hand from her lower back.
"Sorry, babe. I am just incredibly happy to see you."
"You hate talking to people, don't you?"
I nodded, "Yes, I do. Come on. You can walk with me." I tried taking her hand and pulling her behind me but she didn't budge. "What is it, baby?"
"Um, I don't think that's a good idea. I mean, I know a lot of these people."
"Josie, you said you wanted me to introduce you as my girlfriend. What better place to start than here?"
She shrugged, "I don't know. It's just that you're Luke's vice president. It could look like I'm using you."
"But I know you're not and so do Luke and Cade. Come on. It's not a big deal."
She followed behind me as I walked toward the next table. She was quiet, but spoke when she was spoken to.

"Nic!"
We both turned to see Cade walking toward us. Josie stepped closer to me and I put my arm around her.
"Hey, mate."
"We're going out for a smoke. Do you wanna go?"
I nodded, "Yeah, sure. Just give me a second."
He nodded.
I looked down at Josie. "I'll be right back, okay?"
"Do you, um, do you smoke?" She asked quietly.
I chuckled and shook my head, "No, I just always go out with them."
She raised her eyebrows.
"Baby, I promise I don't."
"Aye!" Cade nudged my arm. "Come on, man!"
I kissed Josie's cheek. "Be right back."

As I walked outside, Cade was quick to inform the others of Josie.

"Luke, mate! It's Josie Williams!"

Luke laughed, "Seriously?"

I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, mate! She moved up next to him when I yelled his name!"

I huffed as Cade lit a cigarette. "There is nothing wrong with Josie, you guys."

Luke shook his head and took a puff, "You're right, Nic, we just weren't expecting it to be Josie that you're fascinated with."

"How well do you know her, Luke?" I asked, curious.

"She's a great addition to our group here, even if it's just temporary. She's head strong which helps when we're putting a script together."

"Why was she moved here for the winter?"

"She requested a change in scenery. We don't usually give that opportunity to anyone who has worked less than ten years, but she's gone above and beyond since she started working for us."

"Who found her?"

"Why are you so curious, Nic? Just ask her." Cade chimed in.

"Shut up, Cade. Luke?"

Luke took another puff, "Sam did. I mean, she'd applied, but I don't think we thought anything of her until her father sent in a recommendation."

I gave them both a look, "Who is her father?"

"Christian Williams."

My eyes went wide. "THE Christian Williams?"

They both nodded.

"Christian Williams, the man who owns most of New York, Christian Williams?"

"Yes, Nic. That Christian Williams."

I sighed, "Wow. How did I not know this?"

Cade laughed as Luke shrugged, "I mean, is it that big of a deal?"

I rolled my eyes, "It's not, it's just surprising."

Cade dropped the cigarette butt on the ground and stepped on it. "Honestly, Nic, we're happy you've found someone. We just enjoy giving you a bit of shit about it."

"Thank you, guys."

Luke put out his cigarette and we headed toward the door to go in. "Come on lads, we've got a party to go host."

An hour later, Sam, Cade, Luke and I got ready to make our annual speeches. Well, they had annual speeches, me up there is simply a formality.They were short and sweet and Sam thanked the two Brit boys for their help.Once formalities were out of the way, Luke gave me the green light that I could leave. I weaved in and out of the crowd until I found Josie conversing with some people from Sam's building."Hey." I whispered in her ear as I wrapped my arms around from behind.She jumped a bit, "Oh. Hey.""Are you ready to leave?"She turned and giggled, "You're anxious for something.""Well, I'd like to make out with my girlfriend.""Hmm. Well if my boyfriend gives me a bit more time with my work friends then he can kiss me all night." She wiggled out of my arms and joined back in the conversation.I stepped back and went to the bar for one last drink. I leaned against the counter and watched Josie. Things over the last day have been incredible with her, but how ready are we to begin something that fell apart with just one silly argument?