Chapter Eight

Nic's POV
Josie and I sat in the warm car for twenty minutes staring at one another before it finally sank in.
"You what?" I questioned.
She sighed, "Well, I'm sober now, aren't I?"
I stumbled over my words, "Wh- I mean I- eh?"
"Nic, I'm sorry."
I put the car in drive, staying quiet. I drove through the streets of Dublin. No one was out, which was good considering I have no idea where I'm going and I'm sure I look like an idiot.
"Nic?"
"Shush."
She had her hands on either side of her head and she swayed back and forth. "Nic." She said again.
"What?" I snapped.
"Stop the car."
"Uh, we're driving."
"Nic! Stop the car!"
I pulled over and as she opened the car door I'm glad she did.
"Oooooh." She mumbled.
I unbuckled my seatbelt and leaned over, holding her long hair back. I rubbed her back with my other hand. "I'm sorry."
"It's okay."
"But I told you you're shit at it."
She turned and looked at me. "Take me home?" She questioned.
I nodded. "Sure, love."
Josie pulled the door shut and sat back in the seat. "I'm sorry, Nic." She mumbled as I drove back toward town.
"Don't apologize."
"Well it's not fair that you have to take me home."
"It's okay. Where do you live?"
"A few blocks from the bar with my friends." Her voice was low.
"Love?" I asked carefully. "How about you come back to mine? Addie isn't home and you can sleep on my bed, I'll take hers. It'll be quiet."
Her eyes lit up and she smiled. "That would be perfect, Nic. Thank you."
"Of course, Jos. Anything for you."

Josie's POV
The ride to Nic's house was quiet. I knew he'd moved to Dublin but I had no idea where to.
"Whoa." I mumbled as we rolled to a stop. "This is your new house?"
"Mmhmm."
"This is beautiful."
"Thank you."
He got out and walked around to my door. I pushed it open as he stepped up and held out his hand. I took it and he pulled me up; I felt a bit light headed.
I leaned against his chest. His arms wrapped around me. "Jos? You okay?"
I almost couldn't reply a simple "yes". All I could think about was the fact that as his arms wrapped around me, his heart rate increased and I could feel it.
"Alright, let's get you inside." His hands slid down and rested below my bottom. "Jump." He whispered.
I did like he wanted and wrapped my legs around his waist and my arms around his neck.
"Is this okay?" He asked.
"Yeah, as long as I'm not too heavy for you." I muttered.
"You are NOT heavy in any sense, love. Trust me. Carrying you is easy as carrying Addie."
"No way."
"Yes, way. It's not a problem. I'd rather carry you then have you stumble over your own two feet."
I giggled, "You're very sweet, Nic. Thank you."
"Quit thanking me and quit saying you're sorry. I'm happy to take care of you."
I sighed as I let myself rest against him. "It's been four years." I mumbled against his neck.
"This is true isn't it love."
"Yeah. I missed you."
"I missed you too. I really did." His arms wrapped tighter around me and he kissed my head. "It's funny, I'm carrying you into this house before I'm carrying my own daughter."
My cheeks blushed. "Oh."
"I-it's okay, I was just commenting was all. I don't mind it."
He walked up the stairs and to the left. I was suddenly laid down on a soft bed.
"Oooooh. This is really something."
Nic let out a low chuckle, "It is nice." I watched as he went to a dresser and pulled out a pair of boxer shorts and a t-shirt. He placed them on the bed beside me. "Here you are. Sleep in these. They'll be much more comfortable than the clothes you have on."
"Hmm." I sighed. "Nic?"
"Yes?"
"Stay with me. Please?"
"Uh" He stuttered "I-I don't want to cross any boundaries, Jos."
"I think you blew that when you offered to bring me here. We won't do anything, I promise. I just don't want you to sleep anywhere besides your own bed. That's not fair."
"It's really not a problem, Jos. I used to do it a lot."
I sighed, "C'mon Nic." I sat up and pulled off my shirt, replacing it with his. I knew he was watching; I could here his breath hitch. I stood up on the floor and shimmied out of my shoes, leggings, and panties. I slid on his boxers before climbing back onto the bed and under the covers. "Nic." I said again as I looked up at him.
He shook his head, "I-I can't, Jos." His voice was deep. "I don't trust meself to keep me hands off you. I'll see you in the morning, love."
Nic left the room and I settled back under the covers.
As I began to drift asleep, I felt the bed dip down a bit. I was too tired to open my eyes but I knew it was Nic. It couldn't be anyone else.
"Jos," He said softly "I can't look at you without knowing that I hurt you. I'm so sorry. I hope you've forgiven me." He paused. "You're so beautiful, but I can't get myself to say what I really want to say when you look at me with those gorgeous green eyes. So I guess I'll say it now." He paused again. "I love you too, Josie." The bed dipped and I felt his lips brush against mine. I held my breath until I knew he'd left the room. It was then that I sat up and look at the doorway. It was empty.
Did that really just happen? Does he really love me or is he just saying it because I did?