Chapter 4

The bell struck inside the building, snapping me and Ashton out of our trance. I realized that we had missed about two classes and the break. It's not like the teachers paid much attention to who or who wasn't in the class but...this was the first day and as much as I hate studying...we could miss some pretty important stuff.

"Hey, Ashton, I think we should go."

He nodded his head in agreement and stood up, dusting his backside off the dirt which had collected. I did the same.

"So listen up" I said, my eyes dead set on his anxious face, "getting down is not going to be easy especially if your doing it for the first time—"

He gulped.

"But fear not because I'm sufficiently experienced. Now Ashton-" I said starting for the ledge, "follow me perfectly."

I carefully gripped the end and lowered my body down, finding the familiar dent in the wall and resting my foot on it. From there it was easy, I flung myself to the metal pipe and started crawling down it. A satisfied grin spread across my face when I landed on the ground intact.

"Your turn" I called the white faced ghost like head that was peaking at me from above.

Ashton nodded and did as I had done, though very slowly and very carefully. He almost slipped form the dent but it was okay. The flinging was the hard part actually and It took him some time but somehow he successfully got his body wrapped around the pipe nicely.

"DUDEDEE" he shrieked, "Oh gosh the ground..." I could see his head spinning and sweat gathering at his forehead.

"REMEMBER WHAT I TOLD YOU Ashton, your perfectly fine. Your invincible!"I called out to him, reassuringly.

I watched in shock as the fool disregarded my words and... Just gave up! He let go and tumbled done and feel on his back, groaning. I ran to him and helped him up, "You idiot, why did you just let go?!"

He grinned at me, "It was the quickest way."

Then he stumbled a little after yanking his hand away from my support and fell face-first into the ground.

"Boys and their pride" I muttered and proceeded to help the bastard.

He refused my extended arm and stood up with great effort, " Sometimes it hurts to let go, but it's easiest way."

I looked at him quizzically, "Does that have some hidden meaning because I'm utterly clueless..."

Ashton sighed and shook his head, "I don't know Freak, I don't think I can fight for Charlotte."

I stared after him as he stumbled away, still dizzy from his fall. Hope had escaped from Ashton and he didn't think he could do it. That's where I come in...I need to help him win Charlie back or things will never be the same.

--

I rubbed my arms furiously, hoping the friction would provide some heat. The harsh autumn wind blew against me, knocking my beanie from on top of my hair. I quickly saved it and placed it back cursing the cold. Even under the layers of clothes I was wearing, cold seemed to nip at my bones. Shivering, I walked into the school building and headed straight towards the girl's bathroom, my class had already started and I couldn't show up in the middle of it so I had decided to wait till the next. This rapid amount of bunking had to stop or I might get into serious trouble. But Charlie needed my help, she had texted me a short message, asking me to come to the girl's washroom on the first floor. I had of course obliged and was swiftly making my way towards it.