Chances Ch. 13

Chapter 13

3 months later

Saying life was going great was an understatement. Henry promoted me at the store, so I could do whatever shift I'd wanted. I decided to work with Derek again of course. He was my best friend aside from Leila. She was doing awesome too. She and Nick just moved in together and are happily in love. Julian and I's relationship has taken a turn for the better, ever since I left him we realized how much we needed each other and our relationship has only grown stronger since.

After work I decide to go to the payphone next door to call mom. I really miss my folks.

"Hey, Mom! It's Emma....Yeah New York is awesome....That's good, how's Dad?....That's very good.... How's my house? Uh-I actually don't live there anymore...Don't worry please I'm not homeless, Mom. I've met a guy and we live together....Julian Casablancas is his name....No mom you don't need to run a background check...Okay fine!...Alright, talk to you later...Love you too..." And I hang up. Geesh moms these days. With that, I scurry home in my fixed up Camry.

"Hey baby, I got some Chinese food." Said Julian, pointing to the buffet filled counter. "Thanks, Jules!" I said, kissing him and walking over to the counter. Throughout our talking and eating, his house phone unexpectantly rang. I was closer, so I answered it.

"Hello?....Hey Mom....What?!....Uh-Sure I'll be there rightaway. I'm so sorry....Okay, love you..."

"What was that about?" Asked Julian.

"It was my mom..she said my dad was just in a bad car accident." I said, shock and worry in my voice.

"Oh my-..Emma. I'm so sorry." He said. "I need to get to Virginia and be with my family. I hope you don't mind." I said.

"I'm going with you." He said.

"Julian plea-"

"No, I'm going with you. I need you to be safe." He insisted.

"Well, okay. We need to leave now if that's okay." I said. He nodded and got his car keys, then we packed some things and left the house. We listened to the radio and mixtapes to clear our minds and went on a road trip. Julian grabbed my hand and kissed my knuckles. "Everything will be okay, baby." He said.

I woke up at a gas station. Julian was outside pumping gas. It looked about 9 or 10:00 at night. I wonder where we are. When Julian came back, I asked him. "We're in Virginia. I just need to know where the hospital is." He said. "It should be called Bon Secours Surgery Center and it's in Healthyway I think. Eastern Virginia." I stated. He nodded and took us there.

After half an hour, we arrived. Four and a half hours and we're here. We walked inside and recieved the room number from a lady at the front desk. When we walked in, my dad was asleep and my mom was sitting by his side holding his hand. "Emma!" She quietly exclaimed. "Mom! I missed you so much. How's dad doing?" I ask. "He's doing good, on some sleeping medication but should be up soon. He's been out all day." I nodded and smiled at her then realized I'd forgotten about Julian. "Oh Mom, this is my boyfriend Julian." He smiled politely at her and let go of my hand to shake hers. "Nice to meet you, ma'am." He said.

"You too, Julian. So I heard y'all moved in together? You best keep an eye out on my daughter, boy!" She said. I flushed with embarrassment, glaring at her. "I fully intend to. I'm glad to see her father is doing good." He casually said. She nodded and we heard a mumbled grunt coming from the hospital bed. My dad is awake! Oh Thank God. I rushed over to him and held his hand. "Hey Emma. Good to see you. Who is this?" He said, looking at Julian.

"I'm her boyfriend, sir. Nice to meet you." Julian said smiling. "So what happened?" I asked.

"Some fuckin' idiot ran a red light, so I stopped then got hit by 'em. It hit the passenger side, but I got pretty banged up too." I shook my head with anger.

"I'm just glad you're okay, dad." I said. "Well, you two better get some rest. There's a hotel across the street and it's pretty cheap. Our house is too small unfortunately." My mom said.

"It's fine. I'll be back in here before we leave tomorrow. Goodnight guys." I say. "Goodnight." Julian waves bye to them. Phew, I think they liked him.

800 reads?! Wow, thank you guys! If you want, please vote and comment because I really would love to hear your feedback! Enjoy.😉