TWO: Finally In My Happy Place

Felicity Sage

The plane finally lands after what seems to be years. The flight itself though, was actually quite entertaining. After accidentally insulting the boy, he introduced himself as Ray, short for Raymond. He told me that he was going to Somalia to visit his sister and her family who had to move there for her job. He also told me why he had robbed the shop.

-----

"...I realized that I had left my wallet in my luggage and I literally needed something to eat or I was going to die. I saw the shop and quietly snuck some stuff into a bag and ran like hell. I did get caught by the cops and put me in airport jail. Once my flight had been called, they let me go." Ray had just finished recounting his story to me, and I was doubling over in laughter. He's such an idiot.

-----

I found out quite a bit of random information as well. For example, his favorite color is pink, his least favorite food is pizza (I told you, he's a dumbass), and that he is a Libra (I don't know why he told me that).

So after we get our luggage, we say goodbye and go our separate ways.

According to the email I had gotten, I was to look for a large group and/or a man holding up a sign that said 'Korner Company Refugee Camp.' Once I had spot the group, I quickly run over and patiently (ok...so maybe not patiently, more like jumping around) wait for the bus to come and take us to the site.

I take a long look at the people in the group. There is a great amount of diversity that is about to flood into the camps. Men. Women. Teens. Adults. Westeners. Easteners. Basically all kinds of people.

While studying the group, I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn around to see a girl with dirty blonde hair and bright brown eyes.

"Hi, I'm Lilia," The girl offers me a smile.

"Hi. Felicity. Nice to meet you." I smile back.

Looks like I just made a friend.

"Wanna sit next to me on the bus?"

"Sure but I call window seat." I grin and she agrees, saying that she wanted the aisle seat either way.

...

The light brown trees whiz past us as I look out the window. The bus isnoisy, but the beautiful scenery takes over all my senses and I feel like I was outside, breathing in the sweet African air that flows through one of the open windows. Occasionally I seea jackalope or small rabbits hopping across the breath-taking plain.

I sigh and close my eyes. After so long, I am finally in my happy place. I barely remember this feeling. This feeling of being carefree and untroubled.

The bus enters the camp and humungous huts come into view. People look over to the bus; many of the people look grateful for the help that was coming. I notice that there were already many volunteers at the camp. When the bus stops, we all get off and form a circle around a platform. On the platform towers a man, who I assume is the Financial Director for Korner Co. To the right of the platform stands a boy around my age, a look of boredom flashing over his face. I bet that's the son of Mr. Korner.

Great, he already looks like a fuckboy.

The man gives out a brief introduction and then begins to call out names and their respective hut number. Apparently we are going to find out our duties, after we get settled in, at the bonfire.

Thank god Lilia and I are in the same hut otherwise who knows if my other hutmates are nice. The inside of the hut is amazing and nothing like I imagined. There are 3 bunk beds and a clean bathroom (thankfully with multiple showers). I guess that's what we should expect from a company like Korner CO.