6.Summer Time

Summer Time

“You going out tonight?”

“Nope” I shook my head

“How come I thought you guys had a pact to fulfil”

Shrugging I turned to Mum “Ava isn't felling to good”

“Well in that case you can wash up” she winked as she began to precariously stack the plates in the sink

“But Muum!”

“But Ren!” she dragged out mimicking me “Don't bother complain you know this is your chore so don't try and get out of it” she continued trying to act serious. She let the room shortly after hoping to emphasise her point that she was in no way about to give in and do the washing herself.

Pulling out the washing up liquid I smiled, who knew such an inanimate object could bring back a memory, then again everything today had triggered some kind of reminiscence.

“What are you smiling at?” Leah asked cautiously as she entered to put her plate in the sink

“Nothing” I shrugged “Why do you look so put out?”

“Well when you walk into a room to find your sister smiling at a bottle of washing up liquid I would hope you would be worried too”

I laughed silently to myself “Well considering I'm obviously a little delusional wanna wash up for me?”

“Nice try, but you're on your own for this one”

I wasn't surprised I was half expecting an answer similar to that one. Watching her leave I began to fill up the sink creating a bubbly soapy mixture as I did. Looking out through the window the sun shining through I was taken back to last summer, the weather similar to this.

The three of us arrived home from school during the spring, sun shining, we had raided Kyle freezer for ice-cream and were laying out in the sunshine. However it didn't last long and what started out as a simple splash of water, ended up as the most epic water fight ever!, soap suds included.

Kyle don't you dare!”

And if I do ?” he challenged

Seriously Kyle I'm not in the mood”

Oh come on don't be a spoiled sport” he taunted taking a daring step in my direction

But-”

Ahh”

Too distracted at trying to get me to join in Kyle failed to notice Ava sneak up on him. Drenched from head to toe, I couldn't help but laugh at the shock on his face.

Oh it's on!” he challenged running in my direction.

Sun beating down on my back I headed to my only source of help, the garden hose. Reaching it with only seconds to spare, I turned to aim, however due to the rapid progression of events I had no chance in turning on the water. Using the threat to my advantage I beamed as Kyle's pace fell short seeing his gun was no match for my new found friend.

As there were only three of us, we became out own allies, ducking a dodging our way around Kyle's back garden, the sun piercing down on our backs, not a cloud in the sky. Each of us headed out to choose a choice of weapon before returning to our battle stations.

Running in the complete opposite direction, as Kyle chose to refill, I took cover behind the shed hoping it would by me some time to fuel up my water gun. Taking a sneak peak I noticed Ava had taken in the same initiative ducking behind one of the garden bushes, I could only imagine how the freshly cut grass was prickling her skin.

As Kyle surveyed the garden like an overseer I took the chance to think up some kind of strategy. The water balloons were on Kyle's side of the garden so they were out of bounds. Each of us had already claimed possession of each of the water guns, all that was left was the garden hose With his back turned I took my chance I running across the lawn in an attempt to get to the back of the house. Not wanting to draw any attention I skidded to a halt behind the tree. As Kyle cornered Ava by the tree at the back I took this as my opportunity to put my master plan to work.

Using their distraction to my advantage I pulled my supplies, which consisted of a bucket and a water gun of my own pulling them over to the garden tap. Letting the water gush out I let it catch in the bucket while I set out on the next half of my plan. Sneaking into the house and through to the kitchen I grabbed the washing up liquid, I'm sure Kyle's mum wouldn't mind.

Hearing Ava's squeal come to and end, I figured Kyle had either ran out of ammo or was looking for a new piece of prey. Knowing my luck I would probably be the later. Crouching down as I headed back outside as to not to blow my cover I grabbed a few sponges laying around from car washing and carefully poured in an adequate amount of washing liquid, swirling the mixture as my bubbly plan came to form.

Caught up in the moment that my plan may actually work, I failed to notice the stillness that had now surrounded me. Peaking my head out from the corner I noticed both Ava and Kyle approaching trying to be as quiet as possible. I could tell by their body language they had formed a pact to come out and get me, thankfully I was one step ahead.

Momentarily blinded by the sun I charged from my hiding place a sponge in each hand and my water pistol slung behind my back. Taking aim I let my first sponge go hitting Ava square in the chest completely soaking her through. Unluckily for me Kyle had heard the commotion ducking out of the way before the sponge even had the chance of coming anywhere near him. Instead it fell short splatting on the window.

You are so cleaning that up” was all he said as he took aim hitting me square in the face with his water gun. Laughing at what I guessed was my reaction to his perfect aimed as I squirmed to get away I turned to Ava giving her a knowing smile. Together we retreated picking up the still full bucket of soapy mixture and went on the hunt for revenge.

It didn't come as much of a surprise when Kyle made himself known loaded with water balloons which he pelted in our direction soaking through even more than what we already were. Acting on impulse all Ava and I could do in return was wing the bucket in the air, showering three of us in the foamy mass.

We decided to call it quits after that opting to lay out on the trampoline instead. Though not scorching hot the sun was able to dry out our clothes soon enough as we lay out watching the clouds go by up ahead

Draining the sink of the soapy bubbles, the reminiscence came to an end. All I was left with was clean dishes, wet hands and a wish.

A wish that I could go back to last summer with the two people I called my closet friends.