Chapter Twenty-Five - Moral of the Story: No New Friends. Ever Again.

WARNING, maybe. It's gonna get a little bit violent in this chapter so, be warned. Take this warning, consider it, and react appropriately. I, personally, don't think it's too icky, but if possibly scary situations and some violence bothers you, then you should proceed with caution. I guess.

I'm totally a professional, you guys.

The next day I meet with Carson to tell him that I can't be more than friends with him, at least for now. It had become more and more clear that he wants a romantic relationship with me and that wouldn't be fair to him when I'm trying to get over someone else. He seemed disappointed at first, but he's actually a lot more understanding than I was expecting. Carson even asked if we could stay friends, which surprised me. But maybe I watch too many movies where the girl wants to be friends and it's never what the guy wants. I'm glad he wants to stay friends though; he really is a nice guy.

He mentioned that he's moving this weekend to share an apartment with his friend. I, being a dipstick, offered to help him, never mind the fact that I have no upper-body strength to speak of.

It wasn't until after I volunteered myself that he mentioned the van would be there at eight in the morning and could I be there about an hour earlier to help pack the last of the boxes?

Goodbye day off. Farewell sleeping-in.

When I later tell James and Steve of it before our movie night starts, they laugh at me like the good friends they are.

"If you didn't want to help, why offer?" Steve asks, smiling at me like I'm a child who asked to lick a light socket.

"Because-" I cut myself off. I don't want to tell Steve that, because of him, I had essentially broken off whatever my relationship with Carson was before, and now I feel like I owe him something. "-I'm a nice person?"

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that they laugh at that as well.

"Hey, I'm a nice person! ...Aren't I?"

"Sure, Anne." James practically pats my head in condescension. "You're 'nice'."

"You know, I was going to introduce you to Double Stuf Oreos tonight, but just for that, no. No Oreos."

≈o≈

Saturday came quickly. I have to leave extra early to catch the right bus and walk the remaining couple of blocks to make it to Carson's building before eight. Thankfully, the boys are gone on a mission or something for a couple of days so they aren't home to know exactly how early I have to leave.

Carson lives in not a scary neighborhood, precisely, but I'm glad I'm not here alone at night. I hope his new place is somewhere that looks a little safer.

He buzzes me up and I find his apartment on the fourth floor- no elevator. Looks like today is leg day.

"Hey Anne!" he greets me happily. "Come on in!"

I drop my purse by his front door. "Hi Carson. Wow, looks like you've done pretty much everything already."

The room is only boxes; there isn't even any furniture.

"Yeah, I got more done last night than I expected. But it'll still take several trips to load everything up."

I try not to grumble as I had hoped I would be able to pack boxes while he did most of the lugging to the van. "Right. So, what would you like me to start on?"

He directs me to his kitchen where he still has a cupboard that needs to be packed. I'm just taping the box closed when the van arrives.

"Great timing!" Carson laughs and hands me a box. "Go ahead and take this down to the van. We'll start with the stuff from my bedroom."