Chapter Twenty-Four - I Booped Your Nose

It seems that Tony was excited to meet James. He said it was something to do with getting dirt on Steve from when he was just a skinny little dork, which would make me wonder if he understands how friendship works. Personally, I think Tony was trying to cover up the fact that he was glad that Steve has someone from his past and won't be so alone anymore. But don't tell Tony that I suspect he does have a heart under his little nightlight.

Things went so well that they talked about making James something like a part time member of the Avengers- kind of like probation. I'm not entirely sure if this is a good thing or not. It'll be good for James to be out and have some self-determination back in his life. But he'll be fighting again. I just hope it doesn't constantly remind him of what he was doing for Hydra or make him feel like fighting is all he's good for.

But I know that Steve and James will take care of each other. And we'll still have our movie night; which is nice. I'll see less of both of them though. It makes me glad that Carson is a better friend now than he was.

James has invited me to tag along for his workout session at the training room in the Avenger Tower tonight. I'm not really sure why though. He can't want me as a sparring partner, unless he needs a confidence boost or something. The others are out on missions, business, or personal matters, so he'll be there by himself, but he isn't the kind of guy who can't handle being alone once in a while. Nevertheless, my own plans for tonight consist of a tub of cookie dough ice cream and some of my favorite episodes of Star Trek: TNG– it might be my subconscious' way of telling me I need a pick-me-up –so I agree to "tag along".

The training room is not a room. It's stinking huge – multiple floors high and nearly the circumference of the building. There's a boxing cage, some machines similar to what you'd see in a normal gym but "Starkified", and there are several things that I have no idea what they do. I suppose they're specialized for the members of the team who have abilities beyond the average human.

James starts on something similar to a treadmill, but instead of just moving straight forward, it shifts directions abruptly, and even elevation, keeping the runner on their toes. Something like this would most likely kill me, but James uses it as a warm up. This is a stark reminder (ha, that was 'p-unintentional') that he is not, well, normal. Seeing him in action, even doing something so basic for him, is kind of amazing. I've seen news footage of the team fighting baddies, except for Nat and Clint who SHIELD keeps out of the public eye, but I guess I forget that James can kick evil tail with the rest of them.

He's been running for several minutes, chatting a bit as he does and his little pony tail bobbing with every step, when he tells me that I should hop on one of the regular treadmills to warm up.

"Why do I need to warm up?" I wore yoga pants and a tshirt, but that was because those are comfy, not because I was expecting to sweat.

James grins at my skepticism. "Because I want to see what you've got."

"Or I could just tell you – not much."

Still not even breathing hard, he says, "Now, I know that isn't true."

I absently put my hand over the scar on my arm. "Steve told you about the mugger?"

He increases his speed several notches and I see him clench his jaw. "Natasha did. Mentioned that she and Clint haven't worked with you in a while. Why didn't you work with Steve?"

I look away, a little embarrassed. "I didn't want to bug him- Nat and Clint had offered their help. But I don't need someone to 'work with me' anyway." I cross my arms. "I'm not training to be an agent, I'm a contented employee of the public library. I know enough self-defense to protect myself from the average bear- sorry, 'average Joe'."