two

GISSELLE

"And I was like, you can be mad at me all you want, but there's no way I'm giving you ten dollars. Like, he doesn't even give me anything," I was listening to Ashlee ramble about her argument with Greg Munez, her long time boyfriend of three years.

I loved those two together. Greg was like an older brother that I've never had. He was sweet, nothing close to a push over, but he was a free spirited kind of guy. I enjoyed that about him and he always took care of Ash. It was her that I was constantly looking out for.

Ashlee had been in a relationship prior to the one she's in right now with Greg and the guy completely ran over her. She would cry herself to sleep days after he'd cheat on her or call her all kinds of unmentionable names. Eventually the day came when she finally let him go and met Greg soon after. She's one of those girls who wouldn't know good if it was standing right in front of them. Greg's been trying, Lord knows he has, but it's all patience with her.

"When was the last time he even came to chill and watch a movie with me, G? He just wants to take me out and flaunt me to everyone. "This is my girl, guys."" It was so funny because my sister was really serious in what she was saying right now.

That'd be nice to have someone feel the need to show me off to everyone he meets. Well I guess not everyone, but the ones who are important in his life. Let them know who I am and not have to wonder later.

"That's because he loves you Ashlee," I began, giving her my most sincere look. She just held my eyes, trying to guess everything that I was going to say.

"To answer your question, the last time he came to the house to chill with you was three days ago. He takes you out so that you guys can do things together, go out to eat, shop, see a movie, that kind of stuff. You need to realize that he really cares for you. Three years is a long time to be in a relationship with someone as stubborn as you."

"Shut up." She said between laughs.

We were in a nail salon, the same nail salon we always preferred to get pampered — Paris Hair and Nails.

Eyebrows were done and at this moment, we were receiving our pedicures, sitting in the tall, brown cushioned massage chairs.

Ashlee and I were always out on the town together. We just needed a job, is all. I had a bachelor's degree in business and administration, but I doubt I would get anywhere with that. I at least needed a master's for any higher scale job here in California. I needed to quit being lazy and look for one, but I was not the type to take rejection easily.

"Anyways, Gisselle, let's hit up the gym after this." Ashlee suggested, looking down at the Chinese woman, painting her toenails a soft pink color. I looked at the woman who was painting my nails, the same as Ashlee's.

I had already been to the gym yesterday, but I had no problem with making it twice in a row.

"Yeah, let's do that." I replied.

_____________________

The weight set was the first thing I hopped on. I was only benching 60 and Ashlee was at 50. I was trying to upgrade how much I benched since it has been five years, but I guess squatting was my true specialty. Ladies, get to it for the booty.

My hair was pulled back into a ponytail, patting against my back as I moved. Sweat was dripping down my face onto my neck and then my chest. I breathed hard, trying to catch my breath.

I looked over to see Ashlee on the mountain climber, really targeting her legs and butt. She took a step off and rested her hands on her hips, her hair patting against her sweaty back.

I walked over to her as she continued to catch her breath, just as I did.

She looked at me and smiled, shaking her head. "How long we been at it? Like three hours?" She asked, scratching the top of her head. I looked down at my silver MK, sweat dripping on its face. "Yeah, about that time." I sat down on the rough floor, looking out at the empty gym. Those were always the best kind.

Why didn't I bring my water with me? I'm so thirsty right now.

Ashlee sat down next to me, resting her head on my left shoulder. I could hear her finally catching her breath.

"We're shutting this place down. We need you and all of your workers to get out now." Ashlee's head shot up and we stood, trying to figure out who was threatening to close down the gym.

There were three guys, all dressed in black suits wearing black, thin rimmed shades. I sucked my teeth. They looked like the type of pretty rich boys to ruin someone's fun.

One guy chewed gum, another stood with his arms crossed, and the final guy was talking on his cellphone. "Do you see this?" I asked Ash in disbelief. She was just as heated as I was. "Yeah, let's go figure out what's going on."

"Wait, excuse me?" The gym worker questioned. She never had a real job here, only greeted everyone when they walked inside. "You can't just come in here and say you're shutting this place down. Who do you think you are?"

Ash and I walked up, the guys appearing taller and taller. The one who was chewing the gum smirked gremicingly, eyeing the female worker.

"You know you could keep this place open.." He winked at her, causing her to lean forward, showing off her C cups.

"What would you like?" she cooed to him.

I walked up, looking at them all with distaste. They locked eyes on me, at least I assumed, considering the fact that I couldn't fully see their eyes because they were blocked by shades. Their heads were turned in Ashlee and I's direction, their faces emotionless.

"Yo, what's your problem?" I started with the female worker. She just looked and scoffed, slowly standing back up. "Have respect for yourself. You don't even know these guys. Save it for someone special."

I then turned to the three dudes, their faces looking oddly similar to one another. Although their presence was commanding, appearing as if they'd arrest me at any moment for speaking out, I never held my tongue.

"My sister and I workout here almost everyday. You can't just come and shut it down." They continued to stare my way, their hands moving simultaneously to their pockets. I eyed them, feeling Ashlee's light grasp on my arm. "I think you guys should just go."

"I think you girls should just mind your own business unless you got something for me." It was the dude chewing the gum again. I glared at him, feeling a slight tug from Ashlee. "Say it again." I ordered, stepping a bit closer to him.

The guy who was speaking on his cellphone hung up, giving me his undivided attention. He stood in front of the other with his hands clasped in front of him.

"I said you girls should leave unless you have something for us."

I punched him dead in his face, causing him to grab his left cheek. One of the guys helped him and the other charged for us.

Ashlee and I took off to her car, the dude not so far behind. We hurried inside and she started it up, the dude banging on the window. We burst out laughing as she pulled off, speeding down the road. I rolled my window down and looked back at him. He was making a phone call, dialing the numbers with haste.

"I guess I did have something for you huh, pretty boy!" I shouted between laughs. Ashlee playfully nudged me, giggling nonstop. "You're so dumb."

"Oh my gosh, I know right."

____________

* Instagram: neiarenee
* Twitter: taneiartxo