Chapter 15

Tu me manques Auntie Terri

Graduation day. It is finally here. I sit next to Michael and Lizzie and wait for our names to be called.

"Michael Andersen," the principal calls out. Michael stands up and walks across the stage as a collage of pictures of Michael shows up on the screen. The principal hands Michael his diploma and shakes his hand.

"Brianna Moon." I stand up and walk across the stage, as my school picture, a picture of me leaning against the school gates waiting for Michael, and a picture of me sitting on tailgate of Daddy's pickup, smiling sadly. I shake the Principal's hand and except the diploma that is handed to me.

"Elizabeth Moon." Lizzie crosses the stage excepting her diploma and shaking hands with the principal. A collage of, like, a hundred pictures of Lizzie comes on.

After Lizzie comes back to her spot a collage of everybody's best photo comes on. Michael's is of him sitting on a picnic bench, smiling like he was trying to not laugh, Lizzie's was of her being lifted up by Michael and I, mine was of me and Michael at the away game where we won, Michael was holding me up, my head slightly thrown back, a smile on my face, while Michael started to spin me around.

"You look prettier when you smile," Michael whispers in my ear.

"Thank you," I whisper back leaning into him.

Everybody threw up their caps and caught it again.

"Now we get to party."

"Do I have to go?"

"Please, for me."

"Only because you are my best friend," I say smirking.

"Really, I didn't know we were just 'best friends' anymore."

"Well, you haven't made a move to change it, so until then we are what we are, best friends."

"Will you be my girlfriend, Breezy."

"I would love to," I say before kissing him. 'Ohhh's and wolf whistles are heard all around us.

"Come on, we have a party to get to."

"Yes ma'am."

I drag him off of the school grounds. In Michael's truck I slip off the graduation gown and cap and hang the tassel of my cap on the rearview mirror. I slide closer to Michael and rest my head on his shoulder, my hand rubbing his thigh. My hand inches up his leg until it can't go any higher, I move my hand over and start kissing his neck. He groans, clearly trying to pay attention to the road.

"You need to stop or we'll crash."

"Mhmm," I mumble into his neck. He turns onto a back road and drives a little way before pulling up to where the party is being held. We had to come early because Michael is helping set up and he's my ride.

Michael kisses me before opening his door and climbing out, giving me a hand so I can just get out his door.

We walk into the field with a barn in it and wait for the others to arrive. Once everyone is here we pull the decorations out of people's vehicles. I start setting up the stage in the barn. I bring the microphone up and set it in the center of the stage. I grab the acoustic guitar and the bass setting them up on stands on opposite sides of stage. I carry the pieces of the drum set up one at a time. I start to pick up the amplifier when Michael lifts it up and carries it to the stage. I plug the cord for the microphone into the amplifier. I turn on the mic and amp.

"Checking, one,two," I say into the mic. When it echoes I start singing my remix of my favorite song.

I can take the rain on the roof of this empty house