Chapter 16: Cross The Line

Few people will have the guts to tell their best friend that they like their best friend's ex. I think that's because even fewer people will actually be okay with their best friend dating their ex.

Do you remember Lev? I know that I told you he used to be my walk buddy. But there's a little more to it than just that. Lev actually used to be part of our group. You know, me, Ivan, Andrew, and Jasper.

Okay, now, do you remember when I told you that Andrew was the most qualified to give me advice when Sunday and I broke up because he had a girlfriend from another school for most of freshman year? His ex's name is Queenie. She's Andrew's first love.

Last one, do you remember when I told you that Lev transferred to another school last year? Well, that had something to do with Queenie. A lot to do with her, actually.

In the middle of our sophomore year, Jasper found out through his lady friends from Queenie's school that Queenie was seeing Lev. This came as a shock to us, a) because it turned out that they have been seeing each other for over two months by then and b) because Lev knew that Andrew used to date her. Around that time, Andrew had already moved on. But it still sucked that Lev was dating his first love. It had only been like, five months. And to top it off, Lev hid it from us.

It's not like Andrew and Lev had a fist fight. I mean, when Andrew confronted Lev about it, he apologized. But he didn't stop seeing her or anything. Obviously, this had an effect on their friendship. Consequently, it had an effect on our group. No one really wanted to side with Lev because he pretty much messed up on that one. So, in other words, Lev got cut from our group. By junior year, he'd transferred to Queenie's school. I don't know if they're still together.

October 28, 2012

“So... do you like her?” Andrew asks me. I really wish he wasn't the one asking me this. But he is, so I just have to deal with it.

“Do you think I'm allowed to?” I ask him. All nonchalance has gone out the window. Andrew sighs and leans on the headboard of Ivan's bed.

“Sadie's never had a boyfriend after Ivan,” he says.

“Yeah,” I say, not sure what that has to do with anything. Andrew picks up on my confusion.

“What I'm saying is, Sadie's never been with anyone after Ivan. So, we really don't know how he'll react when he sees her with someone else.”

Andrew's right. We don't have a clue on how Ivan will react. Silence falls upon us as the worst case scenario plays out in my mind. No, I don't think a fist fight between me and Ivan is the worst case scenario. What I'm really scared of is that Ivan won't talk to me anymore.

“Do you think that what I'm doing is wrong?” I ask.

“Can you tell me what exactly it is that you're doing?” he asks back as he gives me a small smile, which I return.

“I think I'm starting to have feelings for Sadie. And I'm letting myself,” I answer.

“Maybe you should give Ivan a heads up,” Andrew advises me.

“I want to tell him, I do. But...” I sigh. “He's like a brother to me, you know? And, I really don't want to lose that. I like Sadie. I constantly find myself just waiting for the next moment I can be with her. But I don't know if this is just a crush or something more. I don't know yet. And then there's the fact that we'll only be together for a few more months before we go to college.”

“Dude, did you seriously just say that? To me?” Andrew chuckles. Then I remember his predicament with Alice.

“Oh, right. Sorry, man,” I say.