Chapter Seventeen

I had to tell everyone, but how could I word it? I leant against the wall outside the waiting room where everyone was and slumped down to the floor, crying. I heard the door burst open and someone yell "I'm just looking for Lily, I'll be back in a minute" it was Alan. I heard him gasp and he grabbed my hand whilst kneeling in front of me.

"Lily, What's happened?" he had an anxious feel to his voice. I couldn't bring myself to answer him though. He kept shaking my shoulders so that I would look up at him. "Alfie..."I started saying, I managed to gulp back the tears, "Has a..brain tumour" I finally managed to spit out. After a few seconds of silence I looked up to see Alan, it was the first time I had ever seen him cry.

We both walked, hand in hand, into the waiting room to confront the others with what is wrong with Alfie, Austin ecspecially looked surprised to see that Alan had been crying. Alan had to tell everyone in the end as I couldn't speak long enough without bursting into tears.

Everyone else looked shocked and some of them didn't even have anything to say, the room fell silent for a matter of hours, before another doctor came in "Alfie can now be seen" THANK GOD I could finally see him. Without thinking, I quickly ran out of the room pushing past everyone else whilst dragging Alan behind me and running to catch up with the doctor.

I desperately pushed the door open to the room that Alfie was being kept in, I tried to ignore all the wires surrounding his tiny body, he looked so peaceful. I took his hand in mine, everyone stood around silently as I spoke "Please don't leave us Alfie, I need you!" I kissed his tiny forehead and sat next to his bed, without making a sound.

For the next week, Alfie had been kept in the hospital so that they could keep running tests and keeping an eye on him, Me or Alan stayed during the night with him, whilst the other went home to get some rest. During the day all our friends and family would come to see Alfie and bring flowers and presents.

One bitter morning I sat next to Alfie's bed, I could see his little chest slowing up each day I had came to see him. His eyes didn't seem as bright anymore, I had to face the cold hard truth that, Alfie was infact dying and I was definitely hating every second of it.

I could feel myself drifting off into a sleep, when suddenly a loud beeping filled the room. I ran to the door and called for the doctors, many came rushing, and I also got escorted outside the room. I looked through the window to see a lot of doctors doing various things to save Alfie, but I already knew it was too late, then it was confirmed, as I saw the doctors putting their faces in their hands and shaking their heads, then they all looked like they were saying goodbye to Alfie.

I knew what was coming as the doctor approached me outside the room. Little Alfie had died at only just over two months old. I couldn't hear a word the doctor said after knowing that Alfie had died, my whole world crashed before me.

For days after, I didn't talk, eat, sleep anything, Alan began worrying about my health but I couldn't care about anything more than having my baby right here in my arms, but he wasn't.

On the day of the funeral, I finally pulled myself together, enough so that I could attend, everyone kept giving me and Alan hugs and their sympathy. I appreciated all my friends loads, ecspecially my dad, I am so glad he walked back into my life along with Damien. Throughout the funeral I cried, but not as much as I thought I would, because I knew Alfie was still here with us, maybe not in the flesh, no, but he was in other ways, I miss Alfie a lot but its been a month and now I have to start hiding up my sadness and try to get on with my crap life.