Chatper 5

Chapter 5

Taylor’s POV

            I leaned against the door to my dressing room, feeling more than a little dizzy as I thought of the guard I had run into, literally. The look in those dark brown eyes when he had thrust Levi away from me; concern certainly, and protectiveness…well that was part of the job I guess. But there had been something else, shining in the depths.

            I gave up that frustrating train of thought, deciding to just be glad he had shoved the burly guard away when he did. I was about three seconds from losing it, it wouldn’t have been pretty. I winced, imagining what my guards must think about me already, their crazy charge who didn’t even want them touching her. No one but George had ever really understood, but it seemed like Toby was trying to.

            And there I was again, back at Toby. What was it about that boy? Was it his shaggy black hair? His soft brown eyes that seemed to peel away layer upon layer and look at me? Was it his firm biceps, the kind of subtle muscle that was obviously very useful, but without the chunky steroid-ridden look so many bodyguards sported? Was it the well defined six pack that had been clearly visible several times when he’d shifted and his plain gray t-shirt had strained across his chest? Was it his long fingers, fingers any pianist would sell their mother's soul for?

            Seriously, what was it about him that had made me jump to save his job? If I was being honest with myself, I knew that I would be ten times more comfortable with a female guard, at least while I slept. But when Levi had offered to switch out a member of the team, he’d glanced down the table at Toby, his fleeting look clearly stating that he was the youngest and least experienced member of the team, the first one to go. My stomach had clenched and I’d immediately denied wanting a woman on the team. Not if it meant losing Toby.

            What had this boy done to me? Why was it that only an hour after our first meeting, my thoughts kept circling back to him and my emotions had become so tied to him? Was it just that he had saved me from Levi? It seemed like more…

            Trying to shake off my disconcerting thoughts I plopped down in a chair infront of the brightly lit mirrors and began laboriously removing all my stage make-up. I should have done this before the meeting, my new guards probably thought they’d be protecting a clown, the way the make-up specialists had done me up. The first to go were the ridiculous blue eyelashes Toby had commented on.  I blushed, remembering his arms around my waist and our bodies pressed close together.

            Stop it! I scolded myself, He was saving you from falling, he’s your guard. Get professional!

            I quickly wiped off the rest of the dramatic make-up and yanked my hair up into a ponytail. The curls my hair team had experimented with today cascaded down my neck and over shoulders. I made a face, it was about time for a haircut. I was pondering a shorter look when I heard a knock on the door.

            “Come in” I called, too exhausted from the long practice and then an emotionally draining meeting with my “team” to bother getting up to open the door.

            Levi stuck his head in, “Excuse me Miss Beddoe, there is a boy here to see you. He says his name is George.”

            “George!” I shouted, my excitement chasing all drowsiness from my system. I pushed past Levi and sprang at the boy waiting in the hall, the boy who was the reason I was where I was in the industry.

            “Woah there Tee!” he chuckled, wrapping his hands around my thighs to keep me from sliding down his body as I wrapped my legs around his waist. “Long time no see, you miss me?”